Statics - Coplanar Force Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving the angle \phi between the X axis and F_{CO}, and the equations and attempted solution to find the value of \theta. The mistake in the solution is identified and the correct value of \theta is provided.
EtherealMonkey
The problem statement:
Statics_0311_PF.png

My relevant equation:

[itex]\phi[/itex] will be the angle between the X axis and [itex]F_{CO}[/itex]

[tex]\theta = \phi + \arcsin\left(\frac{3}{5}\right)[/tex]

My attempt at a solution:

[tex]\Sigma F_{x} = 0:[/tex]

[tex]F_{CO}\cos\phi - F_{BO}\frac{4}{5} = 0[/tex]

[tex]F_{CO} = \frac{F_{BO}\frac{4}{5}}{\cos\phi}[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = 0:[/tex]

[tex]F_{AO} - F_{BO}\frac{3}{5} - F_{CO}\sin\phi = 0[/tex]

Combining terms and substituting the equation found for [itex]\Sigma F_{x} = 0[/itex] into [itex]\Sigma F_{x} = 0:[/itex]

[tex]F_{AO} - \frac{3}{5}F_{BO} - \frac{4}{5}F_{BO}\tan\phi = 0[/tex]

[tex]9kN - \frac{3}{5}8kN - \frac{4}{5}8kN\tan\phi = 0[/tex]

[tex]\phi = \arctan\left(\left(9+\frac{24}{5}\right)*\frac{5}{32}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\phi = 65.12^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = 102^{\circ}[/tex]

The published value of [itex]\theta[/itex]:

[tex]\theta = 70.1^{\circ}[/tex]

I don't know what I did wrong.

TIA for any response.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EtherealMonke said:
[tex]9kN - \frac{3}{5}8kN - \frac{4}{5}8kN\tan\phi = 0[/tex]

[tex]\phi = \arctan\left(\left(9+\frac{24}{5}\right)*\frac{5}{32}\right)[/tex]
that plus 24/5 should be a minus 24/5.
I don't know what I did wrong.

TIA for any response.
you did well, just missed the sign.

Jay, thank you sir!

What is Statics - Coplanar Force Systems?

Statics - Coplanar Force Systems is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces acting on an object that is at rest or moving at a constant velocity in a two-dimensional plane.

What are the different types of forces in Coplanar Force Systems?

The different types of forces in Coplanar Force Systems are tension, compression, shear, moment, and normal forces. Tension forces act to pull an object apart, compression forces act to push an object together, shear forces act to slide one part of an object over another, moment forces act to rotate an object, and normal forces act perpendicular to the surface of an object.

What is the difference between equilibrium and non-equilibrium in Coplanar Force Systems?

In Coplanar Force Systems, equilibrium refers to a state where the net force and net moment on an object is equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. Non-equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state where the net force and net moment on an object is not equal to zero. This means that the object is either accelerating or rotating.

What is the process for solving problems in Coplanar Force Systems?

The process for solving problems in Coplanar Force Systems involves drawing a free body diagram of the object, identifying all the forces acting on the object, applying the equations of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces, and checking the solution for accuracy and reasonableness.

What are some real-life applications of Coplanar Force Systems?

Coplanar Force Systems has various real-life applications, such as in architecture and engineering, where it is used to design stable and structurally sound buildings and structures. It is also used in the design and operation of machines, vehicles, and mechanical systems, ensuring that they can withstand the forces acting on them. Additionally, Coplanar Force Systems is used in sports equipment design, such as in the construction of bridges, stadiums, and roller coasters.