Functional derivative of connection with respect to metric

In summary, you cannot work out the following functional derivative: \frac{\delta}{\delta g_{\mu\nu}} \int d^4 x f^a_{\phantom{a}b} \nabla_a h^bwhere f is a tensor density and should be considered as independent of g. However, this expression is rather messy and doesn't look like a tensor. You can express it using only geometrical objects (tensors, tensor densities, ...)?
paweld
I cannot work out the following functional derivative:
[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta g_{\mu\nu}} \int d^4 x f^a_{\phantom{a}b} \nabla_a h^b
[/tex]
Where f is a tensor density [tex] f= \sqrt{\det g} \tilde{f} [/tex] ([tex] \tilde{f} [/tex] is an ordinary tensor)
and should be consider as independent of g. In my opinion this is not 0
because the connection (namly Christoffel symbols) depend on metric. One can easily
express this derivative in terms of partial derivatives of metric in some coordinates.
But this expression is rather messy and doesn't look like a tensor. Is it possible to express
it using only geometrical objects (tensors, tensor densities, ...)?

Physics news on Phys.org
paweld said:
I cannot work out the following functional derivative:
[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta g_{\mu\nu}} \int d^4 x f^a_{\phantom{a}b} \nabla_a h^b
[/tex]
Where f is a tensor density [tex] f= \sqrt{\det g} \tilde{f} [/tex] ([tex] \tilde{f} [/tex] is an ordinary tensor)
and should be consider as independent of g. In my opinion this is not 0
because the connection (namly Christoffel symbols) depend on metric. One can easily
express this derivative in terms of partial derivatives of metric in some coordinates.
But this expression is rather messy and doesn't look like a tensor. Is it possible to express
it using only geometrical objects (tensors, tensor densities, ...)?

You better take [tex]h[/tex] to be [tex]\tilde{h}[/tex] because I guess it is a tensor not weighted tensor (in agreement with your notation). Of course the result will still be a tensor density because the weight factor would by no means disappear in the end. In fact one can show that the best stance for the variation of this integral wrt metric tensor will be

[tex]
\int d^4 x (\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}f^a_b\nabla_a \tilde{h}^b+\frac{\delta \tilde{f}^{\alpha a}}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} \nabla_a h_{\alpha}+f^{\mu a} \nabla_a \tilde {h}^{\nu}+\frac{\delta [\nabla_a\tilde{h}^b]}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} f^a_b), [/tex]

where h is a tensor density. Here we have no idea what [tex]\tilde{h}[/tex] and [tex]\tilde {f}[/tex] are except their being tensor density. If they were given, we could decide on whether their variation wrt metric tensor would vanish or not! If they don't depend on the metric tensor, the second term apparently vanishes and the last and third terms give together

[tex]\int d^4 x f^{\mu a}\partial_a \tilde{h}^{\nu}[/tex]

So the result will be

[tex]\int d^4 x (f^{\mu a}\partial_a \tilde{h} + \frac{1}{2} f^a_b\nabla_a \tilde {h}^b).[/tex]

This is indeed a non-vanishing expression and the most reduced form of the initial integral.

AB

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for answer.

I don't see why the third and fourth term give:
Altabeh said:
[tex]\int d^4 x f^{\mu a}\nabla_a h^{\nu}[/tex]
(it implies that the fourth term is 0?)

paweld said:
Thanks a lot for answer.

I don't see why the third and fourth term give:

(it implies that the fourth term is 0?)

No it is just a typo! It must be the ordinary derivative!

AB

I still don't know why:
[tex]
f^{\mu a} \nabla_a h^{\nu}+\frac{\delta [\nabla_a\tilde{h}^b]}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} f^a_b
= f^{\mu a} \partial_a h^{\nu}
[/tex]
Could you give some hints why the above equality holds.

paweld said:
I still don't know why:
[tex]
f^{\mu a} \nabla_a h^{\nu}+\frac{\delta [\nabla_a\tilde{h}^b]}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} f^a_b
= f^{\mu a} \partial_a h^{\nu}
[/tex]
Could you give some hints why the above equality holds.

This only holds when one knows that

[tex]\frac{\delta g_{\lambda a} }{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} =\delta ^{\mu}_{\lambda}}\delta ^{\nu}_{a}}[/tex]

and thus

[tex]\frac{\delta \partial_{\kappa}g_{\lambda \alpha } }{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} =\partial_{\kappa}(\delta ^{\mu}_{\lambda}}\delta ^{\nu}_{\alpha}})=0.[/tex]

Are you now able to derive the equation or shall I?

AB

Yes, it's now quite simple. Thanks for help once more.

What is the functional derivative of connection with respect to metric?

The functional derivative of connection with respect to metric is a mathematical concept used in the study of differential geometry. It refers to the rate of change of the connection with respect to changes in the metric tensor.

Why is the functional derivative of connection with respect to metric important?

The functional derivative of connection with respect to metric is important because it allows us to determine how the geometry of a space changes when the metric is varied. This is crucial in understanding the curvature and other geometric properties of a space.

How is the functional derivative of connection with respect to metric calculated?

The functional derivative of connection with respect to metric is calculated using the variational principle, which involves taking the variation of the connection with respect to the metric. This results in a set of equations known as the Einstein field equations.

What is the relationship between the functional derivative of connection with respect to metric and the Christoffel symbols?

The Christoffel symbols are the coefficients that describe the connection in a given coordinate system. The functional derivative of connection with respect to metric is related to the Christoffel symbols through a set of equations known as the Koszul formula, which allows us to calculate the connection in terms of the metric and its derivatives.

How is the functional derivative of connection with respect to metric used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the functional derivative of connection with respect to metric plays a key role in the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the geometry of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. It is also used in variational methods to derive the equations of motion for particles and fields in a curved spacetime.