Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,436
“It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad, and it is better still to sit with the good than alone. It is better to speak to a seeker of knowledge than to remain silent, but silence is better than idle words.”

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
ArcherofScience said:
“...but silence is better than idle words.”

Thank you for that. I turned off my cell phone last weekend and got tons of work done. Amazing how he could predict, 512410 days before the invention of the cell phone, that my brother would call me every weekend, for several years, talking at me about his colon polyps.

Anyways, my good friends today, steered me to this quote:

Lilly Ledbetter said:
Goodyear will never have to pay me what it cheated me out of. I will never see a cent from my case. But with the passage and the president’s signature today, I have an even richer reward.

Cheers to richer rewards.

To richer rewards, my friends.

:smile:

• #1,438
Marjane.jpg

• #1,439
The Euro-zone crisis is effectively over
- Fareed Zakaria; Fareed Zakaria GPS, this morning

• #1,440
Newt Gingrich said:
you can’t put a gun rack on a Volt

Ya, but, I'll bet a

Dirty Harry said:
.44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world...

would fit in the glove box.

Dirty Harry said:
...punk..

:devil:

• #1,441
Plato said:
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

via Jim Clifton, Page 72, The Coming Jobs War

• #1,442
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum now have the Secret Service accompanying them. In Santorum’s case I think it’s the first time he’s actually ever used protection.
- Sen. Scott Brown (R)

• #1,443
Jimmy Snyder said:
[Stupid is as stupid does] It means that you can't label anyone stupid unless they do something stupid. Forrest was not stupid in his mother's eyes because he didn't do stupid things. And because she was his mother.

Just want to second that interpretation.

More specifically I think it points out stupid is something people do, not something people are.

Said different and in context of the movie being mentally slower, doesn't imply stupid. And if you think it does, well that's stupid :tongue: . And stupid is as stupid does.

• #1,444
Fifty years ago tomorrow, Walter Cronkite began his broadcasts of the evening news, on CBS. Back then the evening news lasted 15 minutes.
- Bob Schieffer; Face the Nation

• #1,445
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein

• #1,446
Lisa! said:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein

Are you sure Einstein said that? I can't seem to find a source.

In other news:
"Swooping is bad." - Alistair, Dragon Age: Origins.

• #1,447
Hobin said:
Are you sure Einstein said that? I can't seem to find a source.

In other news:
"Swooping is bad." - Alistair, Dragon Age: Origins.
No, I was in doubt whether this quote is his or not, then I searched for it and I found some websites which said that's his! Anyway I like this quote and I don't care who's said that.

• #1,450
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent. This quote is from one of my favorite quotes.

• #1,451
Somebodies' got to stand up to experts
- Don McLeroy, Former Texas State Board of Education Chairman, speaking out against teaching evolution as a fact.

I’ve always been a fan of reality by majority vote
- Colbert

• #1,452
(PF gods need at least 4 letters in a post. Attachment bytes don't count :(.)

Attachments

• Feynman.jpg
    Feynman.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 398
  • #1,453
There are 100 billion stars in the sky, that used to be an astronomical number, now it is the amount of our federal budget making it an economical number. - Richard Feynman(in around 1963, in his famous lectures, not an exact quote though) now it is closing in on being only the interest payment on our federal debt. Kind of kills looking at the night sky for me. :)

• #1,454
Jasongreat said:
There are 100 billion stars in the sky, that used to be an astronomical number, now it is the amount of our federal budget making it an economical number. - Richard Feynman(in around 1963, in his famous lectures, not an exact quote though) now it is closing in on being only the interest payment on our federal debt. Kind of kills looking at the night sky for me. :)

It's a good thing we don't use smaller units of currency. You might lose your zest for life altogether! :biggrin:

• #1,455
jobyts said:
(PF gods need at least 4 letters in a post. Attachment bytes don't count :(.)

This is what I use:

[ COLOR="E3E3E3" ]10 chars[ /COLOR ]

• #1,457
A Cherokee Legend
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TwoWolves-Cherokee.html

• #1,458
The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.
- Will Rogers

• #1,459
Ivan Seeking said:
The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.

*puts on his conspiracy-theory-hat* But what if it does?! Congress is secretly disturbing the dead. :eek:

• #1,460

Making death worse is a matter for the Vatican. :biggrin:

• #1,462
“One of the hardest things to teach a child is that the truth is more important than the consequences.”

• #1,463
"A pit bull is delicious."
- President Obama

Moral of the story: Our President is soooooo tough that he eats pit bulls for breakfast.

Last edited:
  • #1,464
Ivan Seeking said:
"A pit bull is delicious."
- President Obama

Moral of the story: Our President is soooooo tough that he eats pit bulls for breakfast.

Sour grapes! Obama tried to eat Sarah Palin and didn't work out.

• #1,465
jobyts said:
Sour grapes! Obama tried to eat Sarah Palin and didn't work out.

It didn't? :confused:

• #1,467
Borek said:
World is much smaller than one may think.

I believe that originates as a Disney legend, not Cherokee.

• #1,468
A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

~ Segal's Law

• #1,469
lighting said:
A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

~ Segal's Law

I like that!

• #1,470
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s320x320/552070_10150733360386275_177486166274_9920673_948021456_n.jpg

I have often wondered why it is that the warriors see things more clearly than the peaceniks.

I suppose, they are more aware of the wolves.

Last edited by a moderator: