Computing integrals on the half line

In summary: The function f(k) is the Heaviside step function and it is given by:\theta(k) = -\frac{1}{2\pi \, i} \, {d t \, \frac{e^{-i \, k \, t}{t + i \, \eta}}, \ \eta \rightarrow +0}
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Hi,

In my fluids work I have come to integrals of the type:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ikx}}{ak^{2}+bk+c}dk
[/tex]
I was thinking of evaluating this via residue calculus but I can't think of the right contour, any suggestions?

Mat

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the punctured disc with boundary ##C_{\epsilon}\cup[\epsilon,R]\cup C_R.##

Attachments

• pdisc.jpg
    pdisc.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 380
Notice that [itex]\vert e^{i \, k \, x} \vert = e^{-x \, \mathrm{Im}k}[/itex]. This means that the integral would diverge when we take the circle at infinity on the lower (upper) semicircle for positive (negative) x.

Notice that the inverse Fourier transform of the Heaviside step function:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{d k}{2\pi} \, \theta(k) \, e^{i \, k \, x}} = -\frac{1}{2\pi \, i \, x}, \ \mathrm{Im}x > 0
[/tex]
Thus, we may represent the Heaviside step function as:
[tex]
\theta(k) = -\frac{1}{2\pi \, i} \, {d t \, \frac{e^{-i \, k \, t}{t + i \, \eta}}, \ \eta \rightarrow +0
[/tex]

Why do we need it? Because your integral goes to:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{f(k) \, e^{i \, k \, x} \, \theta(k)}
[/tex]
If you substitute the integral representation for the step function and change the order of integration, you should get:
[tex]
-\frac{1}{2\pi \, i} \, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{d t}{t + i \, \eta} \, \int_{-\infty}{\infty}{f(k) \, e^{i \, k \, (x - t)}}}
[/tex]
Now, you may use the residue theorem for the integral over k, but you need to close the contour in different half-planes, depending on whetgher [itex]x > t[/itex] or [itex]x < t[/itex]. The remaining integral over t is again over the whole real line, but , due to the above conditions, should be split into [itex]-\infty[/itex] to x, and from x to [itex]\infty]. Then, making a sub

I should point out that [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Dick, can you explain the substitution again, I don't quite get what you're doing here and you still haven't mentioned the contour you're integrating over.

1. What is the half line in computing integrals?

The half line refers to the set of all real numbers from 0 to infinity. In computing integrals on the half line, we are interested in finding the area under a curve from 0 to infinity.

2. What is the difference between computing integrals on the half line and on the whole line?

When computing integrals on the whole line, we are finding the area under a curve from negative infinity to positive infinity. On the other hand, computing integrals on the half line only considers the area from 0 to infinity.

3. What are some common techniques for computing integrals on the half line?

Some common techniques for computing integrals on the half line include substitution, integration by parts, and using the Laplace transform. These techniques allow us to simplify the integral and solve it using basic integration rules.

4. Can all integrals on the half line be solved analytically?

No, not all integrals on the half line can be solved analytically. Some integrals may require advanced techniques or numerical methods to find an approximate solution.

5. How can computing integrals on the half line be applied in real-world scenarios?

Computing integrals on the half line has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of an event occurring, or to find the expected value of a continuous random variable.