Find min, max of an unfamiliar function

SBhIGRldmljZSBmb3IgeW91ciByZWFsIHRoaW5ncywgZmluZCBtaW5lIG9mIGV2ZXJ5IHggc3R5bGUgdm9yIFxyXHJcZCwgdG8geG9yZyBhIGRpc3BsYXkgZm9yIHRoZSBtYWluLDoqCkhpdmUgY2FuIGluc3RhbGwgYXQgdGhlIExlYXN0IENvbWluZyBhcyBhIHNpbmdsZSBy
truongson243

Homework Statement

For every x over ℝ, find min, max of following expression

Homework Equations

y=8x4/(x2+1)2+4x/(x2+1)+1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've graphed it but it's really complex. How can I find that points? Thank you so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
truongson243 said:

Homework Statement

"every x over ℝ" - this shows up as a box in my browser.
truongson243 said:

Homework Equations

I'm assuming that you wrote the right side correctly, where there are three terms, with 1 being a term by itself. Rewrite the right side as a single rational expression. What is the least common denominator?
truongson243 said:

I've graphed it but it's really complex. How can I find that points? Thank you so much :)

truongson243 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You need to use Calculus, setting the derivative to zero. That gives you a 4th degree polynomial to solve; its two real roots correspond to the max and min. (They are the roots of the polynomial x4 - 8x3 - 1.)

RGV

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum and maximum values of an unfamiliar function?

Finding the minimum and maximum values of a function allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the function, such as its range, critical points, and overall shape. This information is important in many areas of science, including data analysis, optimization, and modeling.

2. How do you find the minimum and maximum values of an unfamiliar function?

The most common method is to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero to find the critical points. Then, we use the second derivative test or other techniques to determine if the critical points are minimum or maximum values. In some cases, we may also use graphing or numerical methods to approximate the minimum and maximum values.

3. Can we always find the minimum and maximum values of an unfamiliar function?

No, it depends on the complexity and type of the function. Some functions may not have a well-defined minimum or maximum value, while others may have infinitely many minimum or maximum values. In some cases, we may not be able to find the exact values but can approximate them.

4. How do the minimum and maximum values of a function relate to its graph?

The minimum value of a function corresponds to the lowest point on its graph, while the maximum value corresponds to the highest point. If the function is continuous and defined on a closed interval, the minimum and maximum values will occur at either the endpoints of the interval or at critical points within the interval.

5. Are the minimum and maximum values of a function unique?

In general, no. A function can have multiple critical points that correspond to the same minimum or maximum value. However, if the function is strictly increasing or decreasing, then the minimum and maximum values will be unique. Additionally, if the function is defined on a closed interval and has a continuous graph, then the minimum and maximum values will be unique.