Self-learning math for a physics major

In summary: For example, in high energy theory, you need to know a lot about calculus, but you don't need to know everything about the formal mathematical theory of calculus. So I focus on the math that is needed in high energy theory, and I try to read papers that are relevant to that, and I read books that are focused on high energy theory.The two traditional gaps that physicists have are numerical mathematics (i.e. most non-trivial PDE's involve some sort of computer simulation) and probability and statistics (extremely important in interpreting observations in cosmology and HEP.)I don't know if this matters, but I am deciding between theoretical condensed matter physics and high energy theory.One
tut_einstein
I'm a physics major and I'm pretty sure that I want to go into theoretical physics research. Due to scheduling difficulties and such, I haven't been able to systematically study math. I'm am very comfortable with all the basic math that any physics major should know - multivariable calc, PDEs, linear algebra, complex analysis (Riemann sheets, Cauchy integration techniques etc..), tensors, a little bit of group theory...I have also worked enough with differential geometry and topology since I do gravitational physics research.

I want to fill the gaps in my math education by reading books (rigorous, challenging ones) and teaching myself things that I probably missed. I have been following the MIT open courseware site, but since I do have a time constraint, I was wondering which topics I must focus on and which books/lecture notes are good for them (considering that I would like these topics to give me greater insight into physics.) I don't know if this matters, but I am deciding between theoretical condensed matter physics and high energy theory.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I'm feeling lazy, I'll just refer you to Baez's book list:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/books.html

I'll add a couple things. Thurston's 3-dimensional Geometry and Topology has a good discussion of how hyperbolic space ties in with Minkowski space-time. This is a key to understanding why SL(2, C) is the double cover of the identity component of the Lorentz transformations.

This page also has a lot of interesting stuff in it:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/QG.html

tut_einstein said:
I want to fill the gaps in my math education by reading books (rigorous, challenging ones) and teaching myself things that I probably missed.

The two traditional gaps that physicists have are numerical mathematics (i.e. most non-trivial PDE's involve some sort of computer simulation) and probability and statistics (extremely important in interpreting observations in cosmology and HEP.)

I have been following the MIT open courseware site, but since I do have a time constraint, I was wondering which topics I must focus on and which books/lecture notes are good for them (considering that I would like these topics to give me greater insight into physics.)

One problem is that it's an infinite pool, and you'll never learn everything even if you spend your entire life at it.

One thing that I've found useful is to start with the papers that are relevant to the physics that I'm interested and then focus on the mathematics that is used for that physics. One reason this is useful for me is that I'm dreadful at "pure mathematics" but if you can point at that such and such math is used in such and such situation, then I can use my physical intuition to make up for weakness in mathematics.

1. What is self-learning math for a physics major?

Self-learning math for a physics major is a method of learning mathematics on your own, without the guidance of a teacher or professor. It involves using textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to develop a strong understanding of mathematical concepts that are relevant to the field of physics.

2. How is self-learning math different from traditional math learning?

Self-learning math differs from traditional math learning in that it puts the responsibility of learning on the individual rather than a teacher. It allows for a more personalized and flexible approach to learning, as individuals can focus on specific areas of math that are most important for their studies in physics.

3. Is self-learning math effective for a physics major?

Yes, self-learning math can be very effective for a physics major. It allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on the specific mathematical concepts that are most relevant to their studies in physics. It also promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the field of physics.

4. What resources are available for self-learning math for a physics major?

There are many resources available for self-learning math for a physics major, such as textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is important to choose resources that are specifically tailored to the mathematical concepts needed for physics, and to actively engage with the material through practice and application.

5. Can self-learning math be used for other majors besides physics?

Yes, self-learning math can be used for other majors besides physics. It is a valuable skill for any field that requires a strong understanding of mathematics, such as engineering, computer science, and economics. However, it is important to choose resources and materials that are specific to the mathematical concepts needed for your particular field of study.