What happens to the continuity of wave function

In summary, the continuity of the wave function is preserved in the presence of a delta potential, but the derivative is not. The delta function potential is considered "unphysical" and can only be described using self-adjoint extensions. Differentiable wave functions are necessary to satisfy the Schrödinger equation, but not all potentials can be realized as limits of smooth potentials, such as the delta' interaction. Infinite potentials are used to specify the Hilbert space being used. The S-operator for delta potentials is defined on functions with discontinuous derivatives.
amalmirando
what happens to the continuity of wave function!

In the presence of a delta potential, how does the continuity of the wave function gets violated?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not violated

amalmirando said:
In the presence of a delta potential, how does the continuity of the wave function gets violated?

The wave function continuity is preserved. However, the derivative is not. A simple exercise with the Schrödinger equation should show that.

amalmirando said:

Why should a wavefunction be continuous?

DrDu said:
Why should a wavefunction be continuous?
To have a derivative.

The delta function potential is "unphysical" - you won't see it in nature. It is the limit of a very deep, very small potential well. Every very deep, very small potential well gives a continuous wave function with well-defined derivatives. The limit of those wave functions exists, too, and can be considered as wave function of a delta distribution potential.

mfb said:
To have a derivative.

The delta function potential is "unphysical" - you won't see it in nature.

That's not quite true. There is no law that forces a wavefunction to have a derivative. Rather the operator of derivation is not too "good" an operator in being unbounded whence it is not defined on all possible vectors in Hilbert space.
Also the Hamiltonian for the motion in a Coulomb potential has undefined derivatives at r=0, so that is not a peculiarity of the delta potential.
The delta potential becomes very important in relativistic qm as it is the only interaction potential compatible with Lorentz transformations, i.e. in relativistic qm particles can only interact via purely local interactions.

I share some uneasiness about this delta-potential. The original use of potential energy was that its value [itex]U(x)[/itex] gives potential energy when the particle is at [itex]x[/itex]. But the object

[tex]
U_A(x) = A\delta(x)
[/tex]

does not have any value at [itex]x[/itex], because it is not a function.

Sometimes it is said that [itex]A\delta(x) = 0[/itex] on R\{0} and [itex]A\delta(0) = +\infty[/itex], thus suggesting that this describes infinite thin potential wall centred at 0, but this doesn't make sense to me. There is mathematically only one such potential wall (reflecting particles of any kinetic energy); but there is infinity of distributions [itex]U_A(x)[/itex], each producing different jump in the derivative of [itex]\psi[/itex]. How can we have infinity of non-equivalent ways to describe reflecting wall?

DrDu said:
There is no law that forces a wavefunction to have a derivative.
It has to be differentiable to satisfy the Schrödinger equation. (Twice with respect to the spatial variables).

DrDu said:
Also the Hamiltonian for the motion in a Coulomb potential has undefined derivatives at r=0, so that is not a peculiarity of the delta potential.
The coulomb potential is not better anyway, and the real coulomb problem for atoms has a finite charge distribution in the nucleus and no unbounded potential.
Try to evaluate the Schroedinger equation at r=0 in a perfect 1/r-potential ;).

Fredrik said:
It has to be differentiable to satisfy the Schrödinger equation. (Twice with respect to the spatial variables).

This clearly depends on the Schroedinger equation. Take for example H=(p-A)^2 with [itex] A=\pi \delta(x)[/itex] which can easily be obtained from H=p^2 applying a gauge transform [itex] \psi \rightarrow \exp (i\pi\theta(x)) \psi[/itex].
The original psi being continuous, the new psi is discontinuous.

Last edited:

Jano L. said:
I share some uneasiness about this delta-potential.

Right, that's why it is not defined mathematically the way you sketch. The proper way to define a Schroedinger equation with a delta function potential is via self-adjoint extensions as already described by von Neumann in his mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics.
Basically you just specify the boundary conditions of the wavefunction. In the case of one dimensional Schroedinger equations, not all possibilities can be realized as limits of smooth potentials, especially the so-called delta' interaction.
See Coutinho et al, Generalized point interactions in one-dimensional quantum mechanics, http://iopscience.iop.org/0305-4470/30/11/021

mfb said:
The coulomb potential is not better anyway, and the real coulomb problem for atoms has a finite charge distribution in the nucleus and no unbounded potential.
How about e.g. positronium?

I would expect that the mechanism behind the Lamb-shift gives you something similar in positronium.

DrDu said:
This clearly depends on the Schroedinger equation. Take for example H=(p-A)^2 with [itex] A=\pi \delta(x)[/itex] which can easily be obtained from H=p^2 applying a gauge transform [itex] \psi \rightarrow \exp (i\pi\theta(x)) \psi[/itex].
The original psi being continuous, the new psi is discontinuous.
Are you talking about the Dirac field? That's not even wavefunction.

What I'm saying is just that a function must be differentiable to satisfy the Schrödinger equation, and a differentiable function is continuous.

DrDu said:
Right, that's why it is not defined mathematically the way you sketch. The proper way to define a Schroedinger equation with a delta function potential is via self-adjoint extensions as already described by von Neumann in his mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics.
Basically you just specify the boundary conditions of the wavefunction. In the case of one dimensional Schroedinger equations, not all possibilities can be realized as limits of smooth potentials, especially the so-called delta' interaction.
See Coutinho et al, Generalized point interactions in one-dimensional quantum mechanics, http://iopscience.iop.org/0305-4470/30/11/021
What I've always been thinking about infinite potentials is that they're just a way to specify what Hilbert space we're dealing with. For example, the box potential V(x)=0 for all x such that -L<x<L, and V(x)=+∞ for all other x, is just a way to specify that we are now working with the Hilbert space ##L^2((-L,L))## instead of ##L^2(\mathbb R)##.

No Fredrik, I was not talking about Dirac equation, just about some straight forward unitary transformation.
Take [itex]H=p^2[/itex] with p=-id/dx and [itex] U=\exp(i\pi \theta(x)) [/itex], then
[itex]\tilde{H}=U^\dagger H U=(p-\pi\delta(x))^2 [/itex] has discontinuous eigenfunctions
[itex] \tilde{\psi}=U^\dagger \psi=\mathrm{sgn}(x)\psi[/itex].

A Schroedinger operator with a delta potential also does not change the Hilbert space. Rather, the S-operator, being an unbound operator, is not defined on all vectors of the Hilbert space.
The usual S-operators with smooth potentials are well defined on differentiable wavefunctions while the S-operators with delta functions are defined on functions with discontinuous derivatives.
You are quite mathematically interested. Are you familiar with the theory of self-adjoint extensions of operators?
See,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensions_of_symmetric_operators

DrDu said:
No Fredrik, I was not talking about Dirac equation, just about some straight forward unitary transformation.
I guess I got confused by the appearance of ##\psi##, ##A## and "gauge transformation" all in one place. :smile:

DrDu said:
Take [itex]H=p^2[/itex] with p=-id/dx and [itex] U=\exp(i\pi \theta(x)) [/itex], then
[itex]\tilde{H}=U^\dagger H U=(p-\pi\delta(x))^2 [/itex] has discontinuous eigenfunctions
[itex] \tilde{\psi}=U^\dagger \psi=\mathrm{sgn}(x)\psi[/itex].
This had me confused for a bit. For anyone who is still confused: θ is the step function, and we should write ##\tilde H=(U^\dagger p U)(U^\dagger p U)## and then figure out how to rewrite ##U^\dagger p U##.

DrDu said:
A Schroedinger operator with a delta potential also does not change the Hilbert space. Rather, the S-operator, being an unbound operator, is not defined on all vectors of the Hilbert space.
The usual S-operators with smooth potentials are well defined on differentiable wavefunctions while the S-operators with delta functions are defined on functions with discontinuous derivatives.
You are quite mathematically interested. Are you familiar with the theory of self-adjoint extensions of operators?
See,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensions_of_symmetric_operators
No, I'm not familiar with that. I will take a look at it when I have more time. Thanks for the tip.

It is interesting that the Aharonov Bohm effect may discussed along these lines.
Just consider a particle moving on a circle and replace p by L_z. The magnetic vector potential due to an infinitely thin flux line at the center of the cycle may be gauged to be as [itex] A=\Phi/2\pi \theta(\phi)[/itex]. The interesting thing is that here you cannot trivialize the hamiltonian via a unitary transformation although you can switch to a smoother gauge.

1. What is the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location or state. It is a complex-valued function that evolves over time according to the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. What happens to the continuity of the wave function?

In quantum mechanics, the wave function is continuous and smooth, meaning that it can take on any value between two given points. This continuity is maintained throughout the evolution of the system, even during measurements or interactions with other particles.

3. Does the wave function collapse or continue to evolve?

This is a debated topic in quantum mechanics. Some interpretations suggest that the wave function collapses into a single state upon measurement, while others argue that it continues to evolve according to the Schrödinger equation. The answer may depend on the specific interpretation of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the wave function relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that we cannot know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The wave function incorporates this principle by describing the probability of finding a particle in a particular location. The more spread out the wave function is, the more uncertain we are about the particle's position.

5. Can the wave function be measured directly?

No, the wave function is a theoretical concept and cannot be measured directly. However, the probability distribution described by the wave function can be tested and verified through experiments and measurements of quantum systems.