Using Axial Ratio AR to predict R or L hand polarization.

In summary, the conversation discusses a disagreement with the book "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" 2nd edition by Balanis regarding the concept of AR (axial ratio) and its relationship to the direction of rotation of a polarized wave. The conversation points out inconsistencies in the book's explanation and raises questions about the accuracy of the information presented. The speaker also mentions difficulties in finding information on this topic and the frustration it has caused.
yungman
I take issue with the "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" 2nd edition by Balanis again. In Page 156, it claimed for AR=-ve, it is Right Hand rotation, AR=+ve is Left Hand rotation.

For plane wave propagates in z direction and at z=0:

A)Let Ey lag Ex by [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\vec E(0,t)=Re[\hat x (E_R+E_L)e^{j(\omega t)}+\hat y (E_R-E_L) e^{j(\omega t -\frac{\pi}{2})}]\;=\;\hat x ( E_R+E_L) \cos \omega t +\hat y (E_R-E_L) \sin \omega t[/tex]
Where [itex] E_{x0}=E_R+E_L \;\hbox { and }\;E_{y0}=E_R-E_L[/itex].
[tex]AR=\frac{E_{max}}{E_{min}}\;=\;\frac{+(E_R+E_L)}{+(E_R-E_L)}[/tex]
AR is positive

2)But Ey lag Ex by [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] can be represented by:
[tex]\vec E(0,t)=Re[\hat x (E_R+E_L)e^{j(\omega t+\frac{\pi}{2})}+\hat y (E_R-E_L) e^{j\omega t}]\;=\;-\hat x ( E_R+E_L) \sin \omega t +\hat y (E_R-E_L) \cos\omega t[/tex]
[tex]AR=\frac{E_{max}}{E_{min}}\;=\;\frac{-(E_R+E_L)}{+(E_R-E_L)}[/tex]
AR is negative.

AR is different even if you use different representation of Ey lagging Ex!

Also, even if you stay with one convention, Right and Left change between propagation in +z or -z.

This is too important for the book to have a blanket statement, AR cannot predict the direction of rotation of the polarized wave. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

Alan

What's the matter with this topics? I have 8 EM books, only Balanis get more into this polarization. The book is inconsistent. This is not that hard a topic but I am stuck for like two weeks because every time I turn around, I cannot verify the book. Then information on this is hard to get on the web. I finally get the rotation right, but this AR thing is something again!
I am not even talking about difference in conventions, I know Kraus uses different conventions, you either follow Balanis or Kraus. Balanis is more detail, so I follow Balanis. Then Balanis is not consistent in it's own either!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Anyone? You can see, AR is direction of propagation independent, but rotation is absolutely direction dependent.

I also double check EM book by Kraus, it defined AR is always positive and nothing about using AR to predict the direction of rotation, which, should be the correct way. Only problem with Kraus is it uses Poincare circle only and it is not intuitive. Balanis talk about both.

Last edited:

1. What is Axial Ratio AR?

Axial Ratio AR is a measure of the ellipticity of a wave. It is the ratio of the minor axis to the major axis of an elliptically polarized wave.

2. How is Axial Ratio AR used to predict R or L hand polarization?

The Axial Ratio AR can be used to determine the handedness of circularly polarized waves. If the AR is close to 1, the wave is linearly polarized. If the AR is close to 0 or infinity, the wave is either right-handed or left-handed circularly polarized, respectively.

3. What are the advantages of using Axial Ratio AR for predicting polarization?

Axial Ratio AR is an accurate and efficient method for predicting polarization, especially for circularly polarized waves. It does not require complex equipment or calculations, and can be easily measured using a simple polarimeter.

4. Are there any limitations to using Axial Ratio AR for predicting polarization?

One limitation of using Axial Ratio AR is that it can only predict the handedness of circularly polarized waves, and not the orientation of linearly polarized waves. It also assumes that the wave is propagating through a homogeneous medium.

5. How can the accuracy of Axial Ratio AR be improved?

The accuracy of Axial Ratio AR can be improved by using multiple measurements at different angles and averaging the results. Additionally, using higher frequency waves can also improve the accuracy. Calibration of the equipment and making sure the wave is propagating through a homogeneous medium can also increase the accuracy.