The theoretical Augmentations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of augmentations, specifically in the realm of medical science and science fiction. The possibility of using current technologies such as graphene for sub-dermal armor and nano-bots for bone strengthening is also mentioned. However, the practicality and limitations of these ideas are questioned, with the suggestion that wearable technology may be a more feasible option for enhancing human capabilities. The conversation also touches on the topic of electronic learning and the potential for future advancements in this area. Overall, it is concluded that while there are some fringe technologies that may have some potential for augmentation, the idea of science fiction-like intelligence enhancement through brain implants is not currently feasible.
Strelok
The theoretical "Augmentations"

One thing that is somewhat common and has to do with medical science and my interests are augmentations, robotic, nano-technological, or even sometimes genetic enhancements. In the science fiction representations people can outperform human strength and speed with prosthetic limbs, access a chat channel or use the internet with cranial augmentations, and in some cases see through walls with visual prosthesis. The thing I want to discuss are current technologies that can be used to possibly make ideas of how to bring "Augmentations" closer, even if only in theory. One thought I have, the main one is sub-dermal armor made primarily out of Graphene. With Graphene being so light, thin, and strong you could easily implant just behind the dermis so as to protect from damage without stopping cell placement like an implant over the dermis would. Any ballistics impact is still going to tear the skin open or likely break ribs, but it's definitely better to have sub-dermal armor to protect the user from maximum damage than it is to have it tear through organs. And if nano-bots could place a layer of graphene under every few layers of calcium in the bones and keep it growing then the bones would also be incredibly strong, although I am not sure if that is medically possible. I don't want to type a wall of text, I will say more in reply to anyone who comments.

Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry but this is all science fiction. Nothing more. There's no consideration of biology here for example Wolfs law of bone remodelling (try to strengthen bone with other materials and it will weaken over time) or cellular response to mechanical stimulus that would result in significant changes to gene expression and tissue behaviour.

Also nanobots are just a pop sci idea, aside from a few fringe works there really isn't any part of the field of nanotechnology working on them. I highly doubt that any microscopic robot could be made that would outperform naturally evolved biological systems in their own task. Something analogous and far more realistic is the cell therapy, especially when cells are taken from a patient/donor and genetically modified before being put into a patient. That field has potential, microscopic submarines not so much.

As for devices that allow people to be connected and access data we already have that: smartphones. It may seem flippant but I'm serious, they represent an important aspect of most people's extended mind with few of the problems of proposed implantable computers (like easy purchase and repair with no risk to health, no chance of infection, easier upgrade etc). If you want to go a bit further a long the line we might get wearable technology that does all the things science fiction brain implants do but without the need to shove it into a skull.

Last edited:
Well anything in you see in scifi that defies the law of physics is not going to be possible here, so things super powers that superman have will not be possible

As for devices that allow people to be connected and access data we already have that: smartphones. It may seem flippant but I'm serious, they represent an important aspect of most people's extended mind with few of the problems of proposed implantable computers (like easy purchase and repair with no risk to health, no chance of infection, easier upgrade etc). If you want to go a bit further a long the line we might get wearable technology that does all the things science fiction brain implants do but without the need to shove it into a skull.

The bottleneck in both cases is the learning process, which is slow and ponderous. Some people might consider that to be too slow, and want an upgrade to something faster.

aquitaine said:
The bottleneck in both cases is the learning process, which is slow and ponderous. Some people might consider that to be too slow, and want an upgrade to something faster.
This thinking is flawed as it seems to inherently assume that learning with an electronic device is a one trick process with a glass ceiling. In reality there is huge scope for elearning, the khan academy for instance is constantly tracking data like correlations between various video combinations and score outcomes. This is a simple example of a process that could lead to better automatic adaptive learning techniques. I'm not saying that this will be totally paradigm shifting but a future in which people use learning apps that tap into a myriad of different learning resources in the cloud and pick those best suited to the user (becoming better at figuring that out over time by comparison with other users) is a far more likely scenario for quicker, easier, electronic learning than brain computers.

There really isn't much science to discuss otherwise. Products like nootropics are fringe and already subject to marketing abuse (I've seen several supplement products advertised as nootropic with no clear science to back them up) and whilst it isn't hard to find examples of animal studies in which invasive technologies improved some facet of learning that's a far cry from science fiction intelligence augmentation via brain implants. It also ignores the practical complications of surgical implantation, risk of rejection and infection, upgrade problems etc.

Given all the drawbacks of implantable devices I can't see widespread commercial development over wearable technology with better software.

1. What are theoretical augmentations?

Theoretical augmentations refer to hypothetical improvements or enhancements that could potentially be made to a system or organism through scientific or technological advancements. They have not yet been developed or implemented, but are based on current knowledge and research.

2. How are theoretical augmentations different from current technologies?

Theoretical augmentations are different from current technologies because they have not been fully developed or tested. They are based on theoretical concepts and may not be feasible or practical at this time.

3. What are some potential benefits of theoretical augmentations?

The potential benefits of theoretical augmentations include increased efficiency, improved performance, and enhanced capabilities. They may also have the potential to solve complex problems or improve quality of life.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding theoretical augmentations?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding theoretical augmentations. These include the potential for unequal access to enhancements, unintended consequences, and the potential for misuse or abuse of these technologies.

5. Is there any ongoing research or development in the field of theoretical augmentations?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in the field of theoretical augmentations. Scientists and researchers are constantly exploring new ideas and technologies to potentially improve and enhance various systems and organisms.