Our subjective experience is an underestimated tool to discover

• Thread starter Maartenn100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of subjective experience in discovering and understanding the non-measurable world, particularly in the field of neuroscience. The neuroscientist's own subjective experience is seen as a crucial tool in discovering 'a non-measurable world' that cannot be discovered by scientific tools. This highlights the limitations of scientific tools and the importance of subjective experience in understanding the world. The conversation also raises questions about the role of internal models and the mechanism of subjective experience.
Maartenn100
Maybe we are not fully aware of this fact:

The neuroscientist did not discover the existing of a dream by studying the brain. He did not discover the existing of feelings by studying the electric path in the nerv systems. His knowledge of the existence of dreams came from another, underestimated source of knowledge in this world.

His own subjective experience, and only that tool of knowledge, let him discover the existence of 'dreaming'. His most sophisticated scientific tool in his hand could not discover that at all. His scientific tool was limited, where his subjective experience is the first tool to discover 'a non-measurable world' witch can, by definition, not be discoverd by a measuring device.

Awareness, feellings, imaginagen, fantasy, content of dreams are 'existing entities' in this world, only discovered by this fact:

The fact that we are the electrobiochemical materials makes him discover this part of the world.

The neuroscientist is these materials (a wired brain), so he discovers this world of subjective entities, without the need of science at all.

We can conclude that the subjective experience is underestimated being a tool for discoveries in nature. Moreover: the scientific tools of the neuroscientist fale to discover these immaterial things (feelings, dreamcontent, etc) in a wired brain.

So, there is at least one non-scientific tool in this world, "being the bioelectrochemical materials itself" which is or only crucial tool to discover parts of this world, which were otherwise undiscovered.

Our own subjective experience is the only door to this aspect of our world.

Wich other non-brainlike materials in this world are 'experiencing parts of this world' we cannot discover with our scientific tools? How can we know that?

conclusion: our scientific tools are limited to discover more about what exists and what doesn't exist.
No tool can discover 'subjective experiences' in non-brainlike interacting electrochemical materials in this world.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know whether a psychological internal model is directly important for subjective experience or not (I can imagine having feelings without knowing of the self... possibly newborns babies have a similar experience). Life obviously has some kind of internal model in the genome: a global identity. I think how subjective experience arises from matter is still a ways off for us, but I don't think it's a ultimately limited to being philosophical question. I think we can make predictions about the mechanism of subjective experience, and eventually predict them. But I think we have a lot to discover still.

To the OP, I don't think it's underestimated. We have to accept that its the "tool" through which we interpret and model all empirical evidence. None of that has any meaning without subjective experience.

1. What is subjective experience?

Subjective experience refers to an individual's personal and internal thoughts, feelings, and perceptions. It is unique to each person and cannot be observed by others.

2. How can subjective experience be used as a tool for discovery?

Subjective experience can provide insights and perspectives that cannot be obtained through objective measures. It allows us to understand the world and ourselves in a more holistic and personal way, leading to new discoveries and understanding.

3. Is subjective experience reliable for scientific research?

Subjective experience can be a valuable tool for scientific research, but it should be used in conjunction with objective measures. It is important to acknowledge the potential biases and limitations of subjective experience and to use multiple methods to validate findings.

4. Can subjective experience be studied and measured objectively?

While subjective experience is inherently personal and internal, it can be studied and measured objectively through techniques such as neuroimaging, psychophysiological measures, and self-report scales. However, these methods may not fully capture the complexity of subjective experience.

5. How can we improve our understanding and utilization of subjective experience?

To improve our understanding and utilization of subjective experience, we must recognize its value and actively incorporate it into our research and decision-making processes. This can be achieved through open-mindedness, empathy, and a willingness to explore and validate different perspectives.