How to Purify Acetone with Magnesium Sulphate & Activated Carbon

• Thread starter scienceboy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acetone
In summary, the speaker is not satisfied with the purity of the acetone they recently purchased and is looking for ways to purify it further. They have tried using anhydrous magnesium sulphate to remove impurities and are now considering using activated carbon. They are also concerned about whether the magnesium sulphate used will reintroduce water into the acetone and whether they should filter it off after letting it sit for 24 hours. They have also found a resource for further information on purifying acetone.
scienceboy2000
I bought a can of acetone recently. I called the manufacturer and they said that the acetone was 99.5 percent pure. This is not good enough for me. I need it as pure as possible. I have tried tossing in anhydrous magnesium sulphate (about 40 grams per litre), shaking well for a couple minutes, then letting it sit overnight. This seems to result in a more pure acetone, but i am a perfectionist (by the way, was there anything wrong with my drying procedure?)

I was wondering if using activated carbon would work better? I will of course try it out and see how it works, but i would like some direction in purifying my acetone even more.

Also, will the mag sulphate i used leech water back into the acetone after a while? Or should i filter it off after letting the can sit for, say 24 hours?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look what I found: http://pac.iupac.org/publications/pac/pdf/1986/pdf/5811x1535.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does magnesium sulphate purify acetone?

Magnesium sulphate is a drying agent that removes any remaining water from the acetone. This helps to purify the acetone by removing impurities and ensuring a more concentrated solution.

2. What is the purpose of activated carbon in purifying acetone?

Activated carbon is a highly porous material that has a large surface area, allowing it to absorb impurities and contaminants from the acetone. This helps to further purify the acetone and improve its quality.

3. Can any type of magnesium sulphate be used for purifying acetone?

No, only anhydrous magnesium sulphate should be used for purifying acetone. This is because it is free from any water molecules and will not add any additional impurities to the acetone.

4. How much activated carbon should be used for purifying acetone?

The amount of activated carbon needed will vary depending on the amount of acetone being purified. As a general rule, about 5-10% of the total volume of acetone should be activated carbon.

5. How long does it take to purify acetone with magnesium sulphate and activated carbon?

The time it takes to purify acetone using these methods will depend on the amount of acetone being purified, as well as the quality and type of materials being used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day for the process to be completed.