What is 0 to the power of 0 equal to?

• Thread starter Bailey
  • Start date
In summary, the answer to the question "What is zero to the power of zero equal to?" is that it depends on the context. Some mathematicians argue that it is equal to one, while others argue that it is indeterminate or undefined. The confusion arises because sometimes 0^0 represents an operation of repeated multiplication, while other times it represents a changing base. Ultimately, the answer varies and there is not a universally agreed upon answer.
Bailey
simple math question. please help.

i feel kinda stupid asking this question, but what is zero to the power of zero equal to? Is it equal to zero, or one, or infinity?
or the answer will varies depending on the function since it is an indermindate power?

When i use my sci. calculator, it say error.
but, when i use a math program it say 1. And its b/c of this that I'm confuse.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
so...i suppose mathematician favor(or assume) the answer to be 1?
btw, thanks for the link wubie.

mmmm... I'm not so sure myself. To quote part of the article:

This means that depending on the context where 0^0 occurs, you might wish to substitute it with 1, indeterminate or undefined/nonexistent.

But is seems that there are many arguments which support 00 to be equal to one.

I am sure there are some here who can provide a more informative answer than I. I just posted the link to provide an immediate answer.

Hope that it helped.

Cheers.

This is not the first time it's come up, but this illustrates some of the problems with defining [itex]0^0[/itex] as [itex]1[/itex]:

[tex]x^{n-1} = \frac{x^n}{x}[/tex]

[tex]x^1 = x[/tex]

[tex]0^0 = \frac{0}{0}[/tex]

[itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] is indetrimnate, so to define [itex]0^0[/itex] as [itex]1[/itex] requires the (seemingly) arbitary breaking of some of the rules of algebra.

But it also came up in the other thread that sometimes there are good reasons for defining [itex]0^0[/itex] as [itex]1[/tex], but you'll have to ask Hurkyl about that.

What [tex]0^0[/tex] is equal to usually depends on context. I expect that in environments where it is defined, it will usually be 1.

Basically, the times when one says [itex]0^0=1[/itex] are the times when the operation involved really isn't about exponentiation, but about doing something repeatedly.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Basically, the times when one says [itex]0^0=1[/itex] are the times when the operation involved really isn't about exponentiation, but about doing something repeatedly.

That's not entirely correct. [itex]0^0=1[/itex] is also 1 if it's the base, and not the exponent that's changing.

1. What is a simple math question?

A simple math question is a basic mathematical problem that can be solved using fundamental arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What are some examples of simple math questions?

Some examples of simple math questions include: "What is 2+2?", "What is 10-5?", "What is 3x4?", and "What is 15÷3?".

3. How do I solve a simple math question?

To solve a simple math question, you can follow the order of operations, which is parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right). It is important to use the correct symbols for each operation and to complete one operation at a time.

4. What are the benefits of practicing simple math questions?

Practicing simple math questions can improve your basic math skills, increase your speed and accuracy in solving problems, and help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various real-life situations.

5. How can I improve my performance in solving simple math questions?

To improve your performance in solving simple math questions, you can practice regularly, understand the concepts and formulas involved, use mental math strategies, and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed.