Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise

• Thread starter the_fugitive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a planning exercise to design an experiment using a sensor and datalogging equipment to investigate the relationship between the time taken for a vibrating sheet of aluminium to halve its amplitude and the magnetic flux density of the field it is placed in. The student is instructed to draw a diagram of the equipment setup and provide details on how to produce, measure, and vary the magnetic field, orientate it with respect to the sheet, measure the amplitude of vibration, and follow the procedure for the investigation. The teacher suggests that the student assume the principle of dampening vibrations in a conductor in a magnetic field and focus on building an electromagnet, determining field strength, and measuring the vibrations and time taken
the_fugitive
hi guys am really stuck as i wer off clg ill for quite a while so and desperately need help with what to do as i have not even got a clue where to start! THE QUESTION IS:

In this planning exercise you are required to design an experiment, using a sensor and datalogging equipment, to investigate how the time taken for the amplitude of a vibrating sheet of aluminium to halve, varies with the magnetic flux density of the field in which the sheet is placed. Draw a diagram showing how your chosen equipment would be arranged. In your account, you should give details of

a) How the magnetic field would be produced, measured and varied

b) How the magnetic field would be orientated with respect to the vibrating sheet

c) How the amplitude of vibration of the sheet would be measured

d) The procedure to be followed in the investigation

e) Any particular features of your design that may ensure the accuracy of your equipment

...THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
the_fugitive said:
as i wer off clg ill

Please use English, not chat room speak or whatever this is.

I think your teacher responded to this question on another message board.

Your Teacher said:
Quite frankly I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for. The principle is given, all you have to do is flesh it out.

It is given to you, for example, that you can dampen the vibrations in a conductor by setting it into a magnetic field. That's pretty non-trivial if you want to derive it yourself and there's no better way to teach this than to hold a chunk of aluminum into a strong (a tesla or two, I suppose) magnetic field and feel for yourself how it resists any changes in its orientation.

But you're allowed to simply assume this. All you're asked is how you would set up a system that would allow you to measure that this actually works and how well it works as a function of field strength. That doesn't seem to be unclear to me. How would YOU build an electro magnet? How would YOU determine what field strength you're dealing with? How would YOU measure how much a sheet of metal is vibrating? And how long it takes for the vibrations to dampen out?

As far as I can tell the instructions are pretty clear, so I'm not sure what kind of "ideas" you're looking for. Ideas for what? This instruction sheet does not sound to me as if it is shooting for some kind of "one true" answer, it seems like you're merely asked to devise a mechanism that'll allow you to measure how long it takes to dampen out vibrations in a piece of alumium. As a function of field strength.

Any more that I type here would simply be MY approach to this, and that would be "doing your homework for you". Which would be a disservice to you.

http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=5572 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise?

The Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise is a scientific tool used to assess a person's planning and problem-solving skills. It is often used in job interviews or educational settings to evaluate a candidate's ability to think critically and strategically.

2. How does the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise work?

The Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise presents the participant with a complex problem or scenario and asks them to come up with a detailed plan of action to solve it. The participant is given a limited amount of time to analyze the problem, identify potential solutions, and create a step-by-step plan to address the issue.

3. What skills does the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise assess?

The Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise primarily assesses a person's planning, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. It also evaluates their ability to manage time effectively, make decisions under pressure, and communicate their ideas clearly and concisely.

4. Can the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise be used for group assessments?

Yes, the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise can be used for both individual and group assessments. In a group setting, participants are given the same problem to solve, and their individual plans are compared and evaluated as a team. This can help assess teamwork and collaboration skills in addition to individual abilities.

5. Is the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise a reliable assessment tool?

Yes, the Ocr 2006 Planning Exercise has been extensively researched and validated as a reliable tool for assessing planning and problem-solving skills. It has been used by many organizations and universities as part of their selection or evaluation process, and its results have been found to be consistent and accurate.