Does Earth Have a Magnetic Field? Exploring the Science Behind It

In summary, the magnetic field on Earth is caused by the earth's rotating core and the gravitational field is caused by the mass of the earth.
deda
How come the Earth has magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that current theories have to do with motion within the Earth's molton core.

May be it was found by the nature of the iron made Magnets

Originally posted by deda
How come the Earth has magnetic field?

The most widely accepted theory that explains this is called the self-exciting dynamo theory. It postulates that the Earth rotating in its' magnetic field induces a current within the core. The composition of the core has large amounts of iron in it. Because the iron is hot, being heated way above the curie temperature (which is about 760° C for iron) it can't be magnetized, but since a current flows, inevitably a magnetic field must coexist. I suppose this is the reason why the Earth's magnetic field is weak being about 0.5 gauss (0.00005 tesla).

I don't know, the theory doesn't seem to explain the initial origin of this magnetic field, rather just how it lives.

You can do a google search on the subject and probably find out more.

Originally posted by Quasaire
The most widely accepted theory that explains this is called the self-exciting dynamo theory. It postulates that the Earth rotating in its' magnetic field induces a current within the core. The composition of the core has large amounts of iron in it. Because the iron is hot, being heated way above the curie temperature (which is about 760° C for iron) it can't be magnetized, but since a current flows, inevitably a magnetic field must coexist. I suppose this is the reason why the Earth's magnetic field is weak being about 0.5 gauss (0.00005 tesla).

I don't know, the theory doesn't seem to explain the initial origin of this magnetic field, rather just how it lives.

You can do a google search on the subject and probably find out more.

Aha...only Iron theory can't be acceptable...because it doesn't explain gravitational field :frown:

Originally posted by Moni
Aha...only Iron theory can't be acceptable...because it doesn't explain gravitational field :frown:

Last I heard iron had mass.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
Last I heard iron had mass.

Hu! But I wanted to tell that...why we are on Earth for it's magnetic field or gravitational field ?

Originally posted by Moni
Hu! But I wanted to tell that...why we are on Earth for it's magnetic field or gravitational field ?

You're asking why we don't float off? The gravitational field. If the magnetic field suddenly shut off we'd be fine except some people would get lost and maybe we'd have to worry more about getting cancer.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
You're asking why we don't float off? The gravitational field. If the magnetic field suddenly shut off we'd be fine except some people would get lost and maybe we'd have to worry more about getting cancer.

Hah! You are right? But is there is quetion about Magnetic Field then we must know where the Gravitational field comes from ?

What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a force field generated by the planet's core. It extends from the inner core to outer space, and serves as a protective shield against harmful radiation from the sun.

How is Earth's magnetic field created?

Earth's magnetic field is created by the rotation of the planet's liquid iron core. This rotation creates electric currents, which in turn generate the magnetic field.

Why is Earth's magnetic field important?

Earth's magnetic field is important for several reasons. It helps protect the planet from solar wind, which can strip away the atmosphere and make the planet uninhabitable. It also helps animals navigate and keeps our technology functioning properly.

Does Earth's magnetic field ever change?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing. It can weaken or strengthen over time, and can even reverse direction. These changes are influenced by the movements of the liquid iron in the core.

How do scientists study Earth's magnetic field?

Scientists study Earth's magnetic field through a variety of methods, including satellite measurements, ground-based observations, and computer simulations. They also use magnetic field data from rocks and minerals to track changes in the field over time.