How Is the Average Force on a Bullet Calculated?

In summary, There is an error in the book regarding a physics problem involving a bullet leaving a 45 caliber pistol. The average acceleration is correctly calculated to be 2.62 x 10^5 m/s², but the book's answer for the average force is incorrect at 40 N. The correct average force is 0.4 x 10^5 N, which is most likely a printing error.
highc
Ok, I'm using Schaum's Outline of College Physics to supplement my ultra condensed correspondance physics course. As I work through the "Supplementary Problems" I've come across this one which leaves me puzzled.

Typically a bullet leaves a standard 45 caliber pistol (5.0 inch barrel) at a speed of 262 m/s. If it takes 1 ms to traverse the barrel, determine the average acceleration by the 16.2 g bullet within the gun and then compute the average force exerted on it. The provided answers are: 3.0 x 10^5 m/s, 0.4 x 10 N.

I've had no problem working out the average acceleration to 2.62 x 10^5 m/s (3.0 X 10^5 m/s), but I have no idea how the book has arrived at 40 N for the average force exerted.

Does anybody care to show how this was worked out?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is obviously an error in the book. With 2.62 x 10^5 m/s² (don't forget to square s) as the average acceleration, the average force, which is given by the proportionality of force and acceleration

[tex]F_{av}=ma_{av}[/tex]

turns out to be 0.43092 x 10^5 N, which would round down to 0.4 x 10^5 N. So it's probably just a printing error; they forgot the [itex]^5[/itex].

I would first clarify that the average force exerted on the bullet is not 40 N, but rather 0.4 x 10 N, which is equivalent to 4 N. This is a small but important distinction.

To calculate the average force exerted on the bullet, we can use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. We know the mass of the bullet is 16.2 g, or 0.0162 kg. We also know the average acceleration is 3.0 x 10^5 m/s.

Plugging these values into the equation, we get F = (0.0162 kg)(3.0 x 10^5 m/s^2) = 4.86 N. This is the average force exerted on the bullet as it travels through the barrel of the gun.

It is possible that the book made an error in their calculation or in the units used, resulting in the answer of 40 N. However, with the given values, the correct answer would be 4.86 N.

What is the average force of a bullet?

The average force of a bullet is the amount of force exerted by the bullet as it travels through the air and upon impact with a target. It is typically measured in pounds or newtons and can vary depending on the type of bullet and the velocity at which it is fired.

How is the average force of a bullet calculated?

The average force of a bullet is calculated by dividing the momentum of the bullet by the time it takes for the bullet to come to a complete stop upon impact. This can also be calculated by multiplying the mass of the bullet by its acceleration.

What factors affect the average force of a bullet?

The average force of a bullet can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the angle at which it is fired, and the density and hardness of the target it hits.

Why is the average force of a bullet important?

The average force of a bullet is important because it can determine the damage and penetration capabilities of the bullet. It can also be used to compare the performance of different types of bullets and to calculate the recoil force experienced by the shooter.

Are there any safety concerns related to the average force of a bullet?

Yes, the average force of a bullet can be dangerous and potentially lethal. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and handle firearms responsibly to prevent harm to oneself and others.