Questioning the Authenticity of Jesus Scrolls in Japan

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Japan
In summary, it seems that the scrolls may have been forged, but it is an idea that would not be too popular among present day Christians.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It says the scrolls were probably forged, but it's not an idea that I think would be too popular among present day Christians. Just wondering, have the scrolls ever been published?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/japan010123_jesus.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure whether they are published, but even if they were I couldn't read them

Originally posted by motai
Not sure whether they are published, but even if they were I couldn't read them
Oh, good point.

I would be interested in what they supposedly said, though.

Originally posted by Evo
Oh, good point.

I would be interested in what they supposedly said, though.

Are you aware of the "Jesus was in China story"; allegedly from Marco Polo? This supposedly unites Eastern Buddhism and Western Christianity...sort of...if IIRC

I remember hearing about this but I have never checked into the claims of evidence. If no one else pops in with it I will try to find it later. I have no idea if there is any truth in this claim...I assume that it is nonsense but I don't really know.

Of course the Latter Day Saints believe that Jesus came to the Americas.

I have read the mormon bible some time ago. It would seem that at the time of the tower of Babble, there was a migration of people which came to south america. This of course was unsubstaniated, but may be the truth. I was once reading another article totally unrealated to this subject and it was said that monks which were on an ocean journey landed in the south america sometime around 500 AD and found indians with blue color eyes and lighter hair. They also saw ox and carts which were not supposed to be indiginous to the people or time. It is possible that Jesus came to America after what was his trial on the cross. An idea to prove the migration of people could be to do a gene tree and find the relative migrations of poeple and gene structures. They could do DNA testing from bones of different ages from different relative locations and they would be able to prove the mormon bible if the bones were found.

What is the controversy surrounding the authenticity of Jesus Scrolls in Japan?

There are some claims that a set of scrolls found in Japan, known as the "Jesus Scrolls," contain evidence that Jesus traveled to Japan and lived out his final years there. However, many scholars and experts have questioned the validity of these claims and the authenticity of the scrolls themselves.

What evidence is presented to support the authenticity of the Jesus Scrolls?

Proponents of the Jesus Scrolls point to linguistic similarities between the scrolls and biblical texts, as well as carbon dating that suggests the scrolls are from the first century. They also argue that the scrolls provide a missing piece of Jesus's life and teachings.

What evidence is presented to refute the authenticity of the Jesus Scrolls?

Skeptics argue that the linguistic similarities could be coincidental, and that the carbon dating is not definitive proof. They also point out that the scrolls were not discovered by reputable archaeologists, and the lack of other supporting artifacts and historical documents casts doubt on their authenticity.

Why is the authenticity of the Jesus Scrolls important?

The authenticity of the Jesus Scrolls is significant because it could potentially change our understanding of Jesus's life and teachings. If the scrolls are proven to be authentic, it would add a new chapter to Jesus's story and could have a significant impact on Christianity.

What is the consensus among scholars and experts regarding the authenticity of the Jesus Scrolls?

Currently, there is no consensus among scholars and experts regarding the authenticity of the Jesus Scrolls. Some believe they are genuine and provide valuable insight into Jesus's life, while others dismiss them as hoaxes or forgeries. The lack of concrete evidence and the questionable origins of the scrolls make it difficult to come to a definitive conclusion.