Gyroscopes: Can Two Masses Stabilize?

In summary, the question being discussed is whether two counter-rotating masses on a common spindle can stabilize, or if the angular momentum will cancel out causing the device to fall. The consensus is that, viewed from above, the sum precession will be in the direction of the outer gyro with greater leverage. However, if the outer gyro is of less mass or spinning slower, it is possible to balance out the precession. This setup can create a more stable platform due to the opposing rotations canceling out some of the precession effects. Videos have been provided to demonstrate the difference between opposite and same spin in gyroscopes.
Zeinin
Hey! this is my first post here, and I apologize if it is in the incorrect forum, but I have been banging my head against the wall over this concept and I can't seem to find a straight answer. It concerns gyroscopes.

The question is, can two counter-rotating masses on a common spindle stabilize? or does the angular momentum cancel out, causing the gyro to fall as if it had never been spun at all? Here is an image that might make it more clear:
http://waffleimages.inorpo.com/files/db/db30ce33c1c79796a5c309b88325f37936c1ed5d.jpe
The red and blue rings are the masses in question, and they are attached to the spindle via the yellow ball bearings. They counter-rotate, as evidenced by the green arrows showing the direction of rotation for each mass. Assuming that both rings are spinning at the same rate, and lower point of the frame is placed on a table, what will happen?
There are two possible outcomes here:
1. As the rate of spin drops due to friction, the inclination to precess is canceled out by the opposite rotations, meaning it stays upright until the last possible moment.
2. The two masses cancel each other's angular velocity and the whole assembly falls as it would if there was no spin on the weights.

My hope is that the device will act as traditional one-weight gyro, but with a much greater inclination toward stability. Remember, the spindle/frame is rotationally isolated from the weights. Will it fall, or will be rock steady?

Attachments

• gyro.jpg
    gyro.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link comes up as a forbidden page, and the attachments aren't yet approved, so your answer will have to wait. From the written description, though, I believe that it would be a stable platform.

Counter rotating gyros should act as if they aren't spinning, except there are huge stresses in the bearings.

Stable platform. The mass in the gyros is in motion, all that motion (for one gyro) is along a plane. This gives the device inertia causing it to tend to stay aligned with that plane. Cuasing the motion of those masses to divert from alignment to that plane requires a force. Since the two planes are parralel to each other, niether gyro is providing a force to divert the other and in fact each is reinforcing the the other. Rotation in oppsite directions means that some or most of the effects of precession will oppose and cancel out, giving a platform that is more stable than two gyros rotating in the same direction.

LURCH said:
Stable platform. The mass in the gyros is in motion, all that motion (for one gyro) is along a plane. This gives the device inertia causing it to tend to stay aligned with that plane. Cuasing the motion of those masses to divert from alignment to that plane requires a force. Since the two planes are parralel to each other, niether gyro is providing a force to divert the other and in fact each is reinforcing the the other. Rotation in oppsite directions means that some or most of the effects of precession will oppose and cancel out, giving a platform that is more stable than two gyros rotating in the same direction.
I have a question for you. I've assumed these two gyros are of equal mass. Viewed from above, if the gyro furthest from the point of support tries to precess clockwise, and the other gyro (spinning in the opposite direction) wants to precess counterclockwise, then the sum precession will be clockwise due to the outer gyro having greater leverage.

Is that right so far?

So, if we make the outer gyro of less mass than the inner gyro, is it possible to balance precession?

Jeff Reid said:
Counter rotating gyros should act as if they aren't spinning, except there are huge stresses in the bearings.
Now that I see the diagram, the "outer" gyro will provide the dominant precession reaction, but the angular momentum will be greatly reduced compared to a normal gyro.

link videos showing that opposite spin is different than same spin:

http://demoroom.physics.ncsu.edu/html/demos/252.html

So, if we make the outer gyro of less mass than the inner gyro, is it possible to balance precession?
Yes, or the same mass but spinning slower than the inner gyro.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a device used to measure or maintain orientation and angular velocity. It consists of a spinning wheel or disk, mounted on a set of three gimbals, which allows it to remain stable in any orientation.

How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope works based on the principle of angular momentum. When the gyroscope is spinning, it has a tendency to remain in its original orientation, even when the outer frame is moved. This allows it to detect changes in orientation and maintain stability.

Can two masses stabilize a gyroscope?

Yes, two masses can stabilize a gyroscope as long as they are mounted on opposite sides of the gyroscope's axis of rotation. This is known as a two-mass gyroscope and is commonly used in aircraft and spacecraft navigation systems.

What are the benefits of using two masses to stabilize a gyroscope?

Using two masses to stabilize a gyroscope allows for greater precision and stability compared to a single-mass gyroscope. It also allows for better control and responsiveness in navigation systems.

Are there any limitations to using two masses to stabilize a gyroscope?

One limitation of using two masses to stabilize a gyroscope is that it requires more complex and precise engineering. It also may not be as effective in certain environments, such as high levels of vibration or extreme temperatures.