Determine the tension in the two strings

In summary, the tension in the string connecting the m1 = 6.00 kg mass and the m2 = 4.80 kg mass is 66.48 N. The force equations for the two strings are T - m1g = m1a and T - m2g + 3g = (m2 + 3)a, with units properly accounted for. Solving for a gives 1.28 m/s^2, which can then be used to solve for the tension between m1 and m2 using the equation T - m1(g) = m1(a). It is important to keep track of the sign of a to ensure correct calculations.
BunDa4Th
Three objects are connected by light strings as shown in Figure P4.62. The string connecting the m1 = 6.00 kg mass and the m2 = 4.80 kg mass passes over a light frictionless pulley.

p4-62alt.gif

(b) Determine the tension in the two strings.
string between m2 and the 3.00 kg mass

I was able to do the first two part but this one is just troubling me and I am confuse. acceleration is 1.28 m/s^2

a = m2g + 3g - m1g / m1 + m2 + 3

and the tension between m1 and m2 is 66.48

T - m1g = m1a

but i can't seem to get m2 and the 3kg mass. this is what i tried

4.8(9.8) - 3(9.8) = 17.64 N

T - 17.64 = 7.8(1.28) = 27.624 which is incorrect. I don't know what I am doing wrong or where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are mixing units, and that is part of your problem. a = m2g makes no sense.

Please re-write the force equations for each string, with correct units, and I think you will get it right.

what i did was T - m1g = m1a and T - m2g + 3g = (m2 + 3)a

then i solve for T for equation 1 to plug into equation two. I input the numbers and solve for a which is equal to 1.28.

a = (4.8(9.8) + 3(9.8)) / (6+4.6+3)
a = 1.28 with a solve i can solve for tension string between m1 and m2. which is T - m1(g) = m1(a)
T - 58.8 = 6(1.28) T = 66.48 N

I somewhat understand what i did there from reading the book but it didnt explain anything about if there was another add on to it. I am not sure if i did set up the equation correctly.

You may be on the right track, but keep track of the sign of a. It should be opposite for the left and right sides. Sorry, I've got to bail for the night.

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the amount of force being applied to the string in order to keep it taut. It is a measure of the internal pulling force within the string.

2. How is tension in a string determined?

Tension in a string can be determined by using the formula T = F / L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the string. This formula is based on Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to an elastic object is directly proportional to the object's displacement.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the length and thickness of the string, and the material properties of the string such as its elasticity and density.

4. How does tension in a string affect the sound produced by a stringed instrument?

The tension in a string directly affects the pitch of the sound produced by a stringed instrument. A higher tension will result in a higher pitch, while a lower tension will produce a lower pitch. Additionally, the tension can also affect the quality and clarity of the sound produced.

5. How can tension in a string be adjusted?

Tension in a string can be adjusted by changing the force applied to the string, adjusting the length of the string, or using a different type of string with different material properties. In some cases, the tension can also be adjusted by using tools such as tuners or pegs on stringed instruments.