Must all equal values be in the same quartile

• Thread starter alexbib
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about distributing values into quartiles and percentiles, particularly when the number of values is not divisible by 4 or 100. The conversation also mentions the use of software for binning and the limitations of expecting a normal curve for small samples. The person asking the questions is tutoring high school students.
alexbib
Posted this in the stats section, but nobody seems to be reading that section...

I have a few questions about distributing values into quartiles:

1.must all equal values be in the same quartile, even if that makes you create (sometimes very)unequal groups?

2.what do you do when your number of values cannot be divided by 4? Say I have 10 values, do I make the quartiles 3-2-3-2, 2-3-3-2, or something else?

About percentiles, what do you do when you have less than 100 values?

I know stats isn't meant to be used on small numbers of values, but I am tutoring two high school students and couldn't answer these questions.

Thanks,

Alex

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe you are trying to make a mountain out of a mohill. Specifically, to have EXACT quartiles, the number of samples has to divisible by 4, similiarly for percentiles, divisible by 100. Otherwise you are stuck with approximations.

In addition to what mathman said, you shouldn't try to make your quartile "look like" some preconceived idea. For small samples, you can't expect to see any normal curve behavior. And perhaps your data doesn't fall on a normal curve anyway. Best to use software to do your binning to avoid operator bias.

Unfortunately, I cannot use software. I have these questions because I am tutoring high school students who have written tests about dividing small samples into quartiles.

1. What is a quartile?

A quartile is a type of statistical measurement that divides a dataset into four equal parts.

2. Why is it important for equal values to be in the same quartile?

Having equal values in the same quartile allows for a more accurate analysis of the data. It helps to identify any potential patterns or outliers within the dataset.

3. Can a dataset have more or less than four quartiles?

No, a dataset can only have four quartiles because it is divided into four equal parts. However, there are other types of quantiles that can be used to divide a dataset into different numbers of parts.

4. How do you determine which quartile a specific value belongs to?

To determine which quartile a value belongs to, you need to first arrange the dataset in ascending or descending order. Then, count the number of values in the dataset and find the median. The median divides the dataset into two halves. The first quartile is the median of the lower half, while the third quartile is the median of the upper half. The second quartile is the overall median of the dataset.

5. Is it possible for all equal values to be in different quartiles?

Yes, it is possible for all equal values to be in different quartiles. This could happen if there are only a few values in the dataset and they are evenly distributed across the quartiles. However, this is not a common occurrence and having equal values in the same quartile is more likely.