Exploring Tidal Forces - Learn about their Effects and Interactions

In summary, tidal forces are the gradient in the gravitational acceleration, where an extended body experiences different forces due to its position in a gravitational field. In Newtonian gravity, this can cause mechanical tensions in the body, while in general relativity, tidal forces are the only component of gravity. Additionally, in the frame of an accelerating body, there must be a tension to maintain uniform acceleration and prevent the body from falling apart.
Zeit
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm at the right place to write this message, so please excuse me if I'm not.

I have read a bit about tidal forces, but I still don’t understand what they are, how they act on different body masses, etc. So, I thought I could find answers here. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could refer me to a good link about the subject or, if you want, explain it to me.

Thanks a lot

Happy holidays

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In Newtonian gravity, tidal forces are the gradient in the gravitational acceleration. An extended body which is kind of elastic and undergoes a gravitational field with a gradient will not feel the same weight per unit of mass everywhere, and hence will undergo a deformation (as clearly the total force per unit of mass must be identical if the body is not to be ripped apart, hence there must be mechanical tensions in the body).

In general relativity, tidal forces are all there is to gravity.

Thanks for the answer!

my two cents:

if you have an extended body, some part of the body experiences slightly different force due to the slight difference of position to the gravity causing object. Let's say if you have a rod, the end closer to the Earth will experience a greater force than the end farther away from the earth.

In the frame of that accelerating rod, the end farther away from the Earth will accelerate more slowly. In order for that end to "catch" up (so that the rod doesn't fall apart), there must be a tension in the rod to make up for the difference so that the different parts of the rod accelerate uniformly.

tim_lou said:
my two cents:

if you have an extended body, some part of the body experiences slightly different force due to the slight difference of position to the gravity causing object. Let's say if you have a rod, the end closer to the Earth will experience a greater force than the end farther away from the earth.

In the frame of that accelerating rod, the end farther away from the Earth will accelerate more slowly. In order for that end to "catch" up (so that the rod doesn't fall apart), there must be a tension in the rod to make up for the difference so that the different parts of the rod accelerate uniformly.

Yes, that's it, exactly :approve:

1. What are tidal forces?

Tidal forces are the gravitational forces exerted by a larger object on a smaller object when they are in close proximity. In the context of exploring tides on Earth, these forces are primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun.

2. How do tidal forces affect the Earth?

Tidal forces play a major role in shaping the Earth's oceans and atmosphere. They cause the tides to rise and fall, creating daily tidal patterns. Tidal forces also contribute to the Earth's rotation and influence the movement of ocean currents.

3. What are the effects of tidal forces on other celestial bodies?

Tidal forces can have various effects on other celestial bodies. For example, they can cause the formation of tidal bulges on moons and planets, as well as tidal locking, where one side of an object always faces its larger neighbor.

4. How do tidal forces interact with the Earth's gravitational pull?

Tidal forces interact with the Earth's gravitational pull in a complex way. The Earth's gravity is strongest at its surface, while tidal forces are strongest at the center of mass of the Earth-moon system. This creates a tug-of-war between the two forces, resulting in the formation of tides.

5. Can tidal forces be harnessed for energy?

Yes, tidal forces can be harnessed for energy through the use of tidal power plants. These plants use the movement of tides to spin turbines and generate electricity. However, the technology is still in its early stages and has limited feasibility in certain locations.