Derivative Applications: Exploring Roots, Concavity, and Inflection Points

In summary, the first conversation discusses a problem involving finding the values of b for which a given function has roots in a specific interval. The second conversation involves proving that one function is greater than another function on a given interval. The third conversation discusses finding the values of A and B for a function to have a point of inflection at a given point. The main difficulties in these problems involve understanding the logic behind certain steps and proving certain properties without knowing all the necessary information.
kingwinner
I am stuck on the following questions lately. I hope someone can explain/help me out, any little help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

1) Let f(x) = x^3 - 3x + b.
1a) Show that f(x)=0 for at most one number x in [-1,1].
1b) Determine the values of b such that f(x)=0 for some x in [-1,1].

This is an example in my textbook,
For part a, they showed f'(x)=0 at x=+/-1, so f'(x) not=0 on (-1,1), so f(x) = 0 has at most one root (otherwise, by rolle's theorem,...)
For part b: they said that when f(x)=0, b = 3x - x^3 = x (3 - x^2). When x E [-1,1], |x (3-x^2)|<=2. Thus |b|<=2
"When x E [-1,1], |x (3-x^2)|<=2" <------This is where I can't follow this logic, can someone please explain this?

2) Let f and g be differentiable functions on the interval (0,c) such that f(0)=g(0). Prove that if f'(x)>g'(x) for all x E (0,c), then f(x)>g(x) for all x E (0,c).

My attempt:
Let F(x)=f(x)-g(x), I need to prove that F(x)>0
F'(x) = f'(x)-g'(x) > 0 on x E (0,c) since f'(x)>g'(x)
So F increases on (0,c)
This is not what I want...how can I actually prove that F(x)>0?

3) Determine A and B so that the graph of f(x) = Acos(2x) + Bsin(3x) will have a point of inflection at (pi/6,5).

My solution: (incompleted)
(pi/6,5) must lie on the curve, so I sub. (pi/6,5) into f(x), getting A+2B=10 ...(1)

f''(x) exists for all x E R, if there is a point of inflection at x=pi/6, then it must be true that f''(pi/6)=0, so I set f''(pi/6)=0, obtaining -2A-9B=0 ...(2)

Solve (1) and (2), I get A=18,B=-4

BUT the most important thing about point of inflection is that f''(x) MUST change sign (change concavity),f''(x)=0 does not mean that a certain point is a point of inflection for sure, so now I must show that in a small neighbourhood around x=pi/6, f'' has opposite sign, sub. A=18,B=-4 into f''(x), I get f''(x)=-36[2cos(2x)-sin(3x)], but now how can I prove that the 2nd derivative will change sign at x=pi/6? The trouble is that I don't know the location of the other inflection points, so I can't really use the "test sign" method (because I don't know in what interval will the sign of f'' keep constant), say if I evalutate f''(0) to test sign, the trouble is that between 0 and pi/6, f'' may not be keeping a constant sign...how can I take care of this mess?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have a go at 1:

kingwinner said:
I am stuck on the following questions lately. I hope someone can explain/help me out, any little help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

1) Let f(x) = x^3 - 3x + b.
1a) Show that f(x)=0 for at most one number x in [-1,1].
1b) Determine the values of b such that f(x)=0 for some x in [-1,1].

This is an example in my textbook,
For part a, they showed f'(x)=0 at x=+/-1, so f'(x) not=0 on (-1,1), so f(x) = 0 has at most one root (otherwise, by rolle's theorem,...)
For part b: they said that when f(x)=0, b = 3x - x^3 = x (3 - x^2). When x E [-1,1], |x (3-x^2)|<=2. Thus |b|<=2
"When x E [-1,1], |x (3-x^2)|<=2" <------This is where I can't follow this logic, can someone please explain this?

If you look at x(3-x2), considering we are in the range [-1,1], what are the maximum and minimum values of this expression?

kingwinner said:
3) Determine A and B so that the graph of f(x) = Acos(2x) + Bsin(3x) will have a point of inflection at (pi/6,5).

My solution: (incompleted)
(pi/6,5) must lie on the curve, so I sub. (pi/6,5) into f(x), getting A+2B=10 ...(1)

f''(x) exists for all x E R, if there is a point of inflection at x=pi/6, then it must be true that f''(pi/6)=0, so I set f''(pi/6)=0, obtaining -2A-9B=0 ...(2)

Solve (1) and (2), I get A=18,B=-4

BUT the most important thing about point of inflection is that f''(x) MUST change sign (change concavity),f''(x)=0 does not mean that a certain point is a point of inflection for sure, so now I must show that in a small neighbourhood around x=pi/6, f'' has opposite sign, sub. A=18,B=-4 into f''(x), I get f''(x)=-36[2cos(2x)-sin(3x)], but now how can I prove that the 2nd derivative will change sign at x=pi/6? The trouble is that I don't know the location of the other inflection points, so I can't really use the "test sign" method (because I don't know in what interval will the sign of f'' keep constant), say if I evalutate f''(0) to test sign, the trouble is that between 0 and pi/6, f'' may not be keeping a constant sign...how can I take care of this mess?

To show if a critical point is a point of inflection, look at the values of f'(x) either side of the critical point. If the are opposite in sign, then you have a point of inflection.

2) You also know the value of F(0).

cristo said:
I'll have a go at 1:

If you look at x(3-x2), considering we are in the range [-1,1], what are the maximum and minimum values of this expression?

How can I calculate this? The maximum and minimum may not occur at the endpoints...

cristo said:
To show if a critical point is a point of inflection, look at the values of f'(x) either side of the critical point. If the are opposite in sign, then you have a point of inflection.
Yes, I know this fact perfectly, but my problem with question 2 I don't think it's possible to do so without knowing ALL the points where the 2nd derivative may possibly change sign...

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
2) You also know the value of F(0).

(i) F'(x) = f'(x)-g'(x) > 0 on x E (0,c)
(ii) F increases on the OPEN interval (0,c)
(iii) F(0)=f(0)-g(0)=0

Do the 3 conditions above guarantee that F(x)>0 for all x E (0,c)? What if F is discontinuous at 0? (such as jump discontinuity), my thought is that this won't mean that F(x)>0 for all x E (0,c), is there any missing information in the actual question itself?

Can anyone explain a little bit further? Any help is appreciated!

1. What is the purpose of using derivatives in real-world applications?

Derivatives are used to measure the rate of change of a function at a particular point. In real-world applications, this allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of various phenomena such as growth, decay, and optimization.

2. How are derivatives used in economics and finance?

In economics and finance, derivatives are used to calculate the rate of change of various financial quantities such as stock prices, interest rates, and currency exchange rates. This helps in making informed decisions about investments and managing risks.

3. Can derivatives be used to find maximum and minimum values?

Yes, derivatives can be used to find maximum and minimum values of a function. The maximum or minimum point of a function is where its derivative is equal to zero or undefined.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives and rates of change?

Derivatives and rates of change are closely related. The derivative of a function at a particular point represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point, which is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

5. How are derivatives used in physics?

In physics, derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects. This helps in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their future positions. Derivatives are also used in various equations related to force and energy.