How Do You Calculate Torque in a Current Loop with a Hanging Mass?

In summary, the problem is that the person is not sure what the equation should be for the existing numbers. They have tried all sorts of things, but they haven't been able to find a solution.
dtesselstrom

Homework Statement

The 10-turn loop of wire shown in the figurelies in a horizontal plane, parallel to a uniform horizontal magnetic field, and carries a 2.0 A current. The loop is free to rotate about a nonmagnetic axle through the center. A 50 g mass hangs from one edge of the loop.

Homework Equations

Torque = u * B
Torque = (I*A) B

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried all sorts of things I konw that I is 2.0 A and A is .1 * .05 so that gives .01 * B = Torque and I've set torque equal to just the F of the weight times the radius and diameter and I've also tried doubling the F because the force down on both sides. No matter what I've tried it doesn't seem to work. Answers that I have gotten are 1.225. 2.45, 4.9, and .6125 so if you try this problem and get those they are wrong. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• knight_Figure_32_80.jpg
    knight_Figure_32_80.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
If there are 10 turns in the loop, wouldn't you use the equation that incorporates the # of turns?

As far as I know, the 2nd equation you stated holds true for rectangular loops (I can't see your attachment so I don't really know what the problem set up is).

Additionally, if the loops is parallel to the magnetic field...what would sin(theta) be?

Last edited:
I can't find any equations in my book for turns in the loop so if you could help me out with that Id appriciated it and I was wondering that myself as for the picture it is set up as a rectangular loop so I wasn't sure that the turns ment anything and wouldn't it make the sin of theta 90 degrees?

For any other loop that is not a rectangle, torque=NIABsin(theta), where N=# of turns.

ok got it thanks for the help.

dtesselstrom said:
ok got it thanks for the help.[/QUO
What is the answer for this question for the existing numbers? Can you help?

Did anybody come up with an answer for this question?

1. What is torque on current loops?

Torque on current loops is the rotational force applied to a loop of wire carrying an electric current when placed in a magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the current loop.

2. How is the torque on current loops calculated?

The torque on current loops can be calculated using the formula τ = NIABsinθ, where τ is the torque, N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the plane of the loop.

3. What is the direction of torque on current loops?

The direction of torque on current loops is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand point in the direction of the current, and your palm faces the direction of the magnetic field, then your thumb will point in the direction of the torque.

4. How does changing the current or magnetic field affect torque on current loops?

Changing the current or magnetic field can affect the torque on current loops. Increasing the current or magnetic field strength will increase the magnitude of the torque, while changing the direction of either will change the direction of the torque.

5. What is the practical application of torque on current loops?

Torque on current loops has practical applications in devices such as electric motors and generators. It is also used in instruments such as galvanometers to measure current, and in the production of magnetic fields for various purposes.