Solving for x in an exponential

• Thread starter meorozco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a value for x in the equation e^-(xt) <= y, where t = 10 and y = 10^-6. The individual attempted to find x by taking the natural log of both sides, but initially overlooked a negative sign. After correcting the mistake, the solution was found to be x = ln(10^-6) / -10, with a value of 13.8. It was then suggested to confirm the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.
meorozco

Homework Statement

My problem is: e^-(xt) <= y, where t = 10 and y = 10^-6

So: e^-(x10) <= 10^-6

I have to find a value x that would make the probabilty less than or equal to 10^-6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure but my attempt in finding x is:

x*10 =ln(10^-6)
x=ln(10^-6) / 10

I am not so sure that is right. I'm having somewhat of difficulty treating the e in the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats right in taking natural logs of both sides to start with, but you seem to have missed a negative sign in your first step.

Ok, so I would get ln(-x*10) <= ln 10^-6
x = ln(10^-6) / -10)
If I do that I calculate x to be 13.8. Does this seem right?
Put x= 13.8 back into the original equation. Does it satisfy the equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
In problems like this, you can always confirm your answer by going back to the original equation. Since you've found x and you know t, just calculate e-xt and see if it gives the answer you want.

1. How do I solve for x in an exponential equation?

To solve for x in an exponential equation, you will need to use the properties of exponents and logarithms. First, isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation. Then, take the logarithm of both sides using a base that will eliminate the exponent. Finally, use algebraic techniques to solve for x.

2. What is the difference between solving for x in an exponential equation and a logarithmic equation?

The main difference between solving for x in an exponential equation and a logarithmic equation is the placement of the variable and the exponent. In an exponential equation, the variable is in the exponent, while in a logarithmic equation, the variable is the base and the exponent is the known value.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for x in an exponential equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for x in an exponential equation. Most scientific calculators have a "log" or "ln" button that will allow you to take the logarithm of a number with a specified base. Just make sure to check the mode of your calculator to ensure it is set to the correct base.

4. What happens if the base of the exponential equation is negative?

If the base of the exponential equation is negative, you will need to be careful when taking the logarithm of both sides. You will need to use the absolute value of the base to eliminate the negative sign and then consider the two possible solutions when solving for x.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for x in an exponential equation?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving for x in an exponential equation. These include not isolating the exponential term before taking the logarithm, forgetting to use the absolute value of the base when it is negative, and not considering the two possible solutions when the base is negative.