Hookes Law and a uniform bar

In summary, when a uniform bar of iron is supported by a long, uniform Hooke's law spring that is cut in half, with each half supporting the same bar, each half-spring will stretch by 1 cm if the whole spring stretches by 4 cm. The spring constant for each half-spring is double that of the original spring.
Aqua Marine

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of an iron is supported by a long, uniform hooke's law spring. The spring is cut in half and two pieces are used to support the same bar. If the whole spring stretched by 4.0cm, by how much would each half strech?

Homework Equations

f=Kchange in X

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How does the spring constant of each half-spring compare to the original spring constant? (Does it get harder or easier to stretch?)

it become harder to stretch...

I tried solving it and dats what i got:

Fnet= ma
Fs + fg = 0
KX - mg = 0
k = (mg)/ X
(10kg x 9.8m/s) / 0.04
= 2450

first spring = (2450 x 2)
= 4 900
Fa = (k1 + k2)
X= (mg/ k1 + k2)
(10kg x 9.8) / ( 4 900 N/m+4 900N/m)
0.01m= X

please let me know if i did it the right way or not...Thank You so Much!

Aqua Marine said:
I tried solving it and dats what i got:

Fnet= ma
Fs + fg = 0
KX - mg = 0
k = (mg)/ X
(10kg x 9.8m/s) / 0.04
= 2450

first spring = (2450 x 2)
= 4 900
Fa = (k1 + k2)
X= (mg/ k1 + k2)
(10kg x 9.8) / ( 4 900 N/m+4 900N/m)
0.01m= X
Looks good to me! You assumed a mass of 10 Kg for the iron bar (which was not given); but since the answer does not depend on the mass, that's an OK strategy.

But realize you can also solve this algebraically without assuming values:

For the whole spring:
W = KX (where W is the weight of the bar and X = 4 cm)

So K = W/X

For the half-springs:
k = 2K = 2W/X

Since each spring supports half the weight:
W/2 = kx = (2W/X)x

So x = X/4 = 1 cm

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting deformation or displacement of that object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the object remains in its elastic limit.

2. What is a uniform bar in Hooke's Law?

A uniform bar refers to a bar or rod that has a constant cross-sectional area and material properties throughout its length. This means that the bar has the same thickness and composition along its entire length, allowing for consistent application of Hooke's Law.

3. What are the assumptions made in Hooke's Law?

The main assumptions made in Hooke's Law are that the material being tested is in its elastic limit, meaning that it can return to its original shape after the force is removed, and that the deformation is caused by a tension or compression force, rather than shear or torsion forces.

4. How is Hooke's Law used in real-world applications?

Hooke's Law is commonly used in engineering and design to determine the appropriate size and strength of materials for a given application. It is also used in industries such as construction, automotive, and aerospace to test the elasticity and durability of materials under various forces.

5. Are there any limitations to Hooke's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Hooke's Law, as it only applies to materials that remain within their elastic limit. Once a material exceeds its elastic limit, it will experience permanent deformation and Hooke's Law will no longer accurately describe its behavior. Additionally, Hooke's Law does not account for the effects of temperature, time, or fatigue on the material.