Energy loss converting water to hydrogen then back to water

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using electrolysis to convert water to hydrogen and then using a fuel cell to recombine them back into water. The efficiency of this process depends on the approach used, with one suggestion being to use low-cost electricity to produce hydrogen and then sell it for a higher cost. The speaker also mentions the possibility of building a cheap hydrogen generator, storage cylinder, and fuel cell for home use.
mrwabba
i was doing a little thinking and have a pretty good idea but to see if it will even come close working i need to know how much energy loss is there converting water to hydrogen then back to water. using Electrolysis to split the water and a fuel cell to rejoin them back together. i know you can't get as much energy back as i put in just need to know the loss. in a percentage would work best.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mrwabba. The efficiency of both processes depends upon how your approach them. There are different ways of doing both.

If you used low cost electictiy to make the hydogen and then produced electricity for a higher cost you come out in front where it counts in the wallet.

Where I live night rate electicity is 8c/kWhr and day rate 22c/kWhr. If the efficency of the process was say 90% there is a way to make money. Each kilowatt hour of electricy would reep a nett return of 13c/kWhr.

Is it posiable to build a hydogen generator, storage cylinder and fuel cell relativly cheeply - might be worth building one for home use.

1. How does converting water to hydrogen and back to water result in energy loss?

Converting water to hydrogen and back to water involves the process of electrolysis, which requires energy to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen atoms. The energy used in this process is typically greater than the energy generated when the hydrogen is converted back to water, resulting in a net loss of energy.

2. What is the main source of energy loss in this conversion process?

The main source of energy loss in converting water to hydrogen and back to water is due to inefficiencies in the electrolysis process. This can be caused by various factors such as resistance in the electrolysis cell, energy losses during transportation, and losses during storage and distribution.

3. Can the energy loss be reduced in this conversion process?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts to improve the efficiency of electrolysis and reduce energy losses in the conversion process. This includes advancements in materials and technologies used in electrolysis cells, as well as improvements in the infrastructure for storing and transporting hydrogen gas.

4. Is water to hydrogen conversion a sustainable source of energy?

Water to hydrogen conversion can be considered a sustainable source of energy if renewable sources of electricity, such as solar or wind power, are used in the electrolysis process. This would reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and decrease the overall environmental impact.

5. Are there any other alternatives to water to hydrogen conversion for energy production?

Yes, there are other alternatives such as using natural gas or coal to produce hydrogen, but these methods still result in the emission of greenhouse gases. Using renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power, or utilizing nuclear energy, are also options for producing hydrogen with lower environmental impact.