Going to Cornell Next year and need some class advice (Physics Major)

In summary: If you want a more solid foundation in calculus take an analysis class later on instead of retaking calc 1 and 2. Linear algebra should come before calc 3 if you want to understand what's going on.
nealh149
Yeah, so I don't know how difficult I should take classes.

I have a 5 on Phys Mechanics and E&M AP tests, as well as a 4 on the BC Calc Test (5 AB Subscore). These can get me the highest possible placements.

Do you think I should place into a 200 level class in Physics, or should I stick with Honors Mechanics and Special Relativity (which is a single course). I was looking at some Problem Sets in this course, and they looked pretty difficult, so I don't know.

For Math, I can place into Calculus III (which I believe is multivariable Calc) or I can take Linear Algebra and possible a Diff Equations course, I'm not positive.

So any advice would be great. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're questioning whether skipping the first year course is a good idea, you probably shouldn't skip it.

At any rate, the freshman class will be a good social experience and you will meet the other physics majors that you will be studying with for the rest of your degree.

special relativity is in an intro course? wow you're lucky. take the intro courses. the ap classes aren't nearly as rigorous as intro physics class is at a good school like cornell. i guess you're comfortable with integral and differential calculus and integration methods and series and sequences so you're skipping calc 1 and 2 ? i don't know if that's a good idea or bad idea because i never took the calc ap classes but again college classes>ap classes. calc 3 and linear algebra and diff eq are pretty much all on the same level so you can take them however you choose, even all 3 at the same time probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

If you want a more solid foundation in calculus take an analysis class later on instead of retaking calc 1 and 2. Linear algebra should come before calc 3 if you want to understand what's going on.

ice109 said:
special relativity is in an intro course? wow you're lucky.
Special relativity can be incorporated into many introductory courses since it needs no higher level maths-- the concepts are far harder to grasp than the mathematics. I had SR tagged onto the end of my intro mechanics course, since I guess they thought it was important enough for everyone to have a slight grasp of. However, it isn't until later on that many people are given a rigorous course in SR, utilising lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics and introducing tensors, in a way to prepare for GR courses.

Yeah the special relativity is just tacked on like cristo said. Otherwise it's a pretty standard mechanics course for freshman, just more demanding. I think I'll take that and linear algebra. I'm pretty comfortable with differential and integral calculus, not so much series, but I can learn that independently.

nealh149 said:
Yeah the special relativity is just tacked on like cristo said. Otherwise it's a pretty standard mechanics course for freshman, just more demanding. I think I'll take that and linear algebra. I'm pretty comfortable with differential and integral calculus, not so much series, but I can learn that independently.

Going by this syllabus [in .ps format]
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~maxim/P116/Spring2005/handout1.ps [Broken]
using Kleppner and Kolenkow isn't (for most places) standard at that level [unfortunately].
It is, as you say, more demanding.

(I didn't like parts of the KK chapters on special relativity at the end. You may wish to consult parts of Taylor and Wheeler http://www.eftaylor.com/download.html#special_relativity instead.
For a different approach, you might like to consult some old class notes by Mermin at http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/~cew2/P209/P209_home.html [Broken] )

Last edited by a moderator:
oedipa maas said:
If you're questioning whether skipping the first year course is a good idea, you probably shouldn't skip it.

At any rate, the freshman class will be a good social experience and you will meet the other physics majors that you will be studying with for the rest of your degree.

agree with you completely

Don't skip the intro courses. Even if you find them easy, they'll be nice refresher courses, in which you can get some easy A's or A-'s if you know them well enough. If you end up not knowing the material as well as you thought...well, your in the right class then. Also, as others said, you'll get to meet others in your year and socialize.

Last edited:
cristo said:
Special relativity can be incorporated into many introductory courses since it needs no higher level maths-- the concepts are far harder to grasp than the mathematics. I had SR tagged onto the end of my intro mechanics course, since I guess they thought it was important enough for everyone to have a slight grasp of. However, it isn't until later on that many people are given a rigorous course in SR, utilising lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics and introducing tensors, in a way to prepare for GR courses.

i understand that it can be, I am just saying it's cool that it is that way in his class. here the only special relativity stuff in the SR/GR senior class

Thanks guys, I'm definitely taking the intro honors course..

nealh149 said:
Thanks guys, I'm definitely taking the intro honors course..

Cool! Good luck to you in the future!

i'd have loved to have taken the honors sequence at cornell. ah well.

glad to hear you'll be doing the kleppner/purcell sequence. not a whole lot of schools provide that, afaik.

I hate how High school sets some kids up to failwith AP classes. Not saying you will fail, but as a TA I can say I have seen so many kids get 5's on ap exams come to college, try and take the next class after tha exam's placement, take the 2nd class 2x, only having to go back and take the 1st one over again, then having to take that second class a 3rd time.I wish you the best. But even at Cornell and you sounding very bright, id rather you take Mechanics and E & M again.

Last edited:
Thanks, Llama, that's what I plan on doing.

1. What are the recommended classes for a Physics major at Cornell?

The recommended classes for a Physics major at Cornell may vary depending on your specific interests and career goals. However, some common courses that are typically required or highly recommended for Physics majors include introductory courses in calculus, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics. It is also important to take classes in other related fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering.

2. Are there any specific professors or courses that are highly recommended for Physics majors at Cornell?

Cornell has a strong Physics department with many renowned professors, so you have a lot of options when it comes to choosing classes and instructors. It is a good idea to ask current students and advisors for recommendations based on your interests and goals. Some popular courses among Physics majors at Cornell include Quantum Mechanics, Astrophysics, and Solid State Physics.

3. Are there any research opportunities available for Physics majors at Cornell?

Yes, there are many research opportunities available for Physics majors at Cornell. The department has a variety of research labs and facilities, and students can also work with faculty members on their own research projects. It is recommended to reach out to professors or the department directly to inquire about specific research opportunities and how to get involved.

4. How can I balance my course load while taking challenging Physics classes at Cornell?

Balancing your course load as a Physics major at Cornell can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. It is recommended to create a study schedule and seek help from professors, teaching assistants, and classmates when needed. It may also be helpful to take advantage of resources such as tutoring and study groups.

5. Are there any extracurricular activities or clubs for Physics majors at Cornell?

Yes, there are various extracurricular activities and clubs for Physics majors at Cornell. Some popular options include the Society of Physics Students, Astronomy Club, and Physics Colloquium. These activities can provide opportunities for networking, learning, and exploring different areas of physics outside of the classroom.