Mass spectrum-need 3 peak designations

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Peak
In summary, the conversation is about assigning m/z peaks on a mass spectrum and the student is seeking help in identifying 3 peaks not on the given chart. They have already determined the rest of the peaks and only need assistance with the ones at 95 m/z, 109 m/z, and 123 m/z. One person suggests that the peaks could correspond to the textbook example of bicyclo[n.o.t.]forbiddenene, a structure that has been seen multiple times on the internet.
FlipStyle1308

Homework Statement

I am assigning m/z peaks on a mass spectrum, and there are 3 peaks not on the chart given by the instructor, and I was wondering if anyone can help me determined their identities. The peaks I am unsure of are found at 95 m/z, 109 m/z, and 123 m/z; I already figured out the rest of them. Thanks!

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already determined the 4 peaks on the left and the 2 on the right, and just need help with the peaks at 95 m/z, 109 m/z, and 123 m/z.

Spectrum found at:
IMG.cgi?fname=MSNW8935&imgdir=msW.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the textbook example of bicyclo[n.o.t.]forbiddenene.
I've seen this and a closely related structure, message[4.0.4]failurene, many times in my travels on the internet...

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your mass spectrum assignment. In order to accurately determine the identities of the three unknown peaks at 95 m/z, 109 m/z, and 123 m/z, you may need to provide more information such as the type of sample being analyzed and the method of ionization used. Additionally, the intensity of each peak can also provide valuable information in identifying the compounds present. I would recommend consulting with your instructor or conducting further research on mass spectrometry to determine the identities of these peaks. Best of luck with your assignment!

What is a mass spectrum?

A mass spectrum is a graph that shows the distribution of ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio. It is commonly used in analytical chemistry to identify the molecular weight of a compound and its composition.

Why are there multiple peaks in a mass spectrum?

Each peak in a mass spectrum corresponds to an ion with a specific mass-to-charge ratio. The presence of multiple peaks indicates the presence of different molecules or fragments in the sample being analyzed.

What do the peak designations in a mass spectrum mean?

Peak designations in a mass spectrum refer to the m/z (mass-to-charge) ratio of the ions present. They can be used to identify the molecular weight of a compound and its fragments, as well as the presence of specific elements or functional groups.

Why is it important to have at least 3 peak designations in a mass spectrum?

Having at least 3 peak designations in a mass spectrum is important because it allows for more accurate identification of the compounds present. It also helps to distinguish between different types of compounds, such as isomers, which may have the same molecular weight but different fragmentation patterns.

How is a mass spectrum generated?

A mass spectrum is generated by ionizing a sample using a variety of techniques such as electron impact, electrospray ionization, or matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization. The resulting ions are then separated based on their mass-to-charge ratio using a mass analyzer, and the data is recorded and plotted as a graph.