Solve Equilibrium for Chemical Reaction: 2A <-> B + C

In summary, to find the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium, substitute the given initial concentrations into the equilibrium expression and solve for x using the quadratic formula. To find deltaG for the reaction, use the equation deltaG = -RTln(Keq) where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin.
Hollysmoke

Homework Statement

The following reaction initially contains [A]o = 0.2150 M and o = [C]o = 0.4150 M. If the equilibrium constant for the reaction is Keq = 2.03, what are the concentrations of reactants and products when the reaction has achieved equilibrium? What is the value of deltaG for the reaction at 25oC?

2 A <-> B + C

Homework Equations

I am stuck as on how to proceed with the math. I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly or not. Could someone please take a look?

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial: 2A B C
0.2150M 0.4150M 0.4150M

Change: +x -x -x
Since Q>Kc, as Qc = [C]/[A]^2

Equil. 0.2150+x 0.4150-x 0.4150-x

I'm stuck on the whole rearranging and solving for x bit. I know I'm supposed to use quadratic formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute the values you know for the equilibrium concentration of A, B and C (A=0.2150+x, B=0.4150-x, C=0.4150-x) into the expression for equilibrium and solve it.

Keq=2.03=[(0.4150-x)^2/(0.2150+x)^2] and expand it out, multiply both sides by (A+x)^2, do the algebra until the expression for Keq is in the form:

0 = ax^2 + bx + c (note that here the terms a, b and c are not the same as A, B and C given in the problem)

Hint: The first step should look like this:

2.03*(0.2150+x)^2 = (0.4150-x)^2, after multiplying both sides by (0.2150+x)^2

To solve for equilibrium concentrations, you need to set up an equilibrium expression using the equilibrium constant, Keq. In this case, the equilibrium expression would be Keq = ([C])/([A]^2). Then, you can substitute the given values for initial concentrations and Keq to solve for the unknown concentration (x).

Using the quadratic formula, you can solve for x by setting the expression equal to zero and solving for x. Once you have the value of x, you can plug it back into the equilibrium concentrations equation to find the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products.

To find the value of deltaG for the reaction at 25oC, you can use the equation deltaG = -RTln(Keq), where R is the gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K) and T is the temperature in Kelvin (25oC + 273.15 = 298.15 K). By plugging in the given value for Keq, you can solve for deltaG. Keep in mind that deltaG is a measure of the spontaneity of a reaction, with negative values indicating a spontaneous reaction and positive values indicating a non-spontaneous reaction.

What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.

How do you represent chemical equilibrium mathematically?

Chemical equilibrium can be represented using the equilibrium constant, Keq, which is equal to the ratio of product concentrations to reactant concentrations at equilibrium.

How do you solve for chemical equilibrium?

To solve for chemical equilibrium, you can use the equilibrium constant expression, set it equal to the given Keq value, and then solve for the unknown concentrations using algebraic methods.

What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst can affect chemical equilibrium by changing the reaction rate and shifting the equilibrium towards either the reactants or products.

What does the direction of the equilibrium arrow indicate?

The direction of the equilibrium arrow indicates the direction in which the reaction is favored at equilibrium. A forward arrow (->) indicates that the products are favored, while a backward arrow (<-) indicates that the reactants are favored.