Tossing Your Lunch physics problem

• Thread starter azila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Henrietta is jogging at a speed of 3.90 m/s to her physics class when her husband Bruce realizes she forgot her lunch. He throws the bagels horizontally from their apartment window, which is 48.5 m above the sidewalk, 9.00 s after Henrietta has passed below. To catch the bagels before they hit the ground, Bruce must throw them with an initial speed that is equal to Henrietta's jogging speed. Henrietta catches the bagels while still jogging, at a distance of 48.5 m from the apartment window. To solve this problem, you can use the equations y = -48.5 m, Vo = 3.90 m/s, and h =
azila

Homework Statement

Henrietta is going off to her physics class, jogging down the sidewalk at a speed of 3.90 m/s. Her husband Bruce suddenly realized that she left in such a hurry that she forgot her lunch of bagels, so he runs to the window of their apartment, which is a height of 48.5 m above the street level and directly above the sidewalk (SO I AM GUESSING IT IS 48.5 METERS ABOVE THE SIDEWALK, REALLY BAD WORDING) to throw them to her. Bruce throws them horizontally at a time 9.00 s after Henrietta has passed below the window and she catches them on the run. You can ignore air resistance.

a. With what initial speed must Bruce throw the bagels so Henrietta can catch them before they hit the ground?

b. Where is henrietta when she catch the bagels?

Homework Equations

y= -48.5 m
Vo= 3.90 m/s
and she took 9 seconds to walk down below the window.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a x and y direction table but am totally lost. I was thinking that you would need to use the relative velocity equations but I don't know whether the bagels would be relative to the ground or to henrietta. So, if you could please guide me in a direction, that would be great. THANKS for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
velocity of lunch*T = v of her wife * 9 + v of her wife * T

and using h = 0.5gT^2

find T

thanks for guiding me. I appreciate it alot.

1. What is the "Tossing Your Lunch physics problem"?

The "Tossing Your Lunch physics problem" is a hypothetical scenario that involves a person throwing a lunch bag in the air and catching it. This problem is used to explain concepts of physics such as gravity, projectile motion, and momentum.

2. What are the factors that affect the outcome of this problem?

The factors that affect the outcome of this problem include the initial height and velocity of the lunch bag, the angle at which it is thrown, air resistance, and the gravitational force acting on the bag.

3. How is this problem related to real-life situations?

This problem is related to real-life situations such as throwing a ball, shooting a projectile, or even jumping. These actions all involve concepts of physics such as force, motion, and energy.

4. Can this problem be solved using a mathematical equation?

Yes, this problem can be solved using mathematical equations such as the equations of motion and the laws of physics. These equations can help us determine the trajectory, velocity, and other important factors of the lunch bag.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding this problem?

Understanding this problem can help us predict the motion and behavior of objects in various scenarios, which can be useful in fields such as engineering, sports, and even space exploration. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.