Understanding Kepler's Third Law: Calculating Aphelion Distance of a Comet

In summary, the comet has a perihelion distance of 0.29 A.U. and an orbital period of 77 years. To the nearest thousandth of an A.U., what is its aphelion distance from the Sun? The answer is 35.908 A.U.
kylewoodloveast
A comet has a perihelion distance of 0.29 A.U. and an orbital period of 77 years. To the nearest thousandth of an A.U., what is its aphelion distance from the Sun?

I know that keplers third law plays a part in this p2=a3 but I just can't plug it in right. I know the answer is 35.908 but I don't know how to get to that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the mass of Earth as 6 x 1024 kg and its radius to be 6400 km, (corresponding to a value for g of 9.77 m/s2 at the Earth's surface) what is the value for g to 2 decimal places at an elevation of 1700 km?

I know that Newtons laws fall into here somewhere but I am having some trouble realizing how. I know that G'6.67 x 10-11...

It's best to start a new thread for a new problem.

For the question in the original post: show your work, so we can see what you're doing.

what i did was square 77 which is 5929 and then I got the cube root of that which is 18.

OK, so what is that number? What does it represent in the shape of the orbit?

For the second question: yes, you need Newton's laws here. Two of them. Do you know which ones?

I have no idea. I have the law of centrpetal acc. and law of universal gravitation right here beside me.

Let's concentrate on the Kepler's law question, so things don't get confused!

ok, i am ready.,

What does Kepler's law tell you? What does the number 18 represent? Do you know about ellipses? Do you know what aphelion and perihelion mean?

keplers law tells me that the square of the period is equal to the cube of the au. aphelion is the farthest distance from the sun and perihelion is the closest.

"cube of au"? OK, but do you know what that is? It's the length of the semi-major axis of the orbit. So draw out a picture of an ellipse, and label it. Put the aphelion and perihelion on it. All you need to solve this problem is to understand the geometry of the orbit. Your calculation of "a" is correct (but watch the rounding). But "a" is not what the final answer is. You now need to use this value to get the aphelion distance.

What is Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

How is Kepler's third law helpful?

Kepler's third law is helpful because it allows us to calculate the orbital period of a planet based on its distance from the sun. It also helps us understand the relationship between a planet's orbital period and its distance from the sun.

What is the formula for Kepler's third law?

The formula for Kepler's third law is T^2 = k*a^3, where T is the orbital period in years, a is the semi-major axis of the orbit in astronomical units (AU), and k is a constant value based on the mass of the central body.

How did Kepler discover his third law?

Kepler discovered his third law by analyzing the data collected by his mentor, Tycho Brahe. He noticed that the ratio of a planet's orbital period to its distance from the sun was nearly constant for all planets.

What are some real-world applications of Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law is used in space exploration to calculate the orbits of planets, satellites, and other celestial bodies. It is also used in astronomy to study the motions of stars and galaxies. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as satellite communication and navigation.