Understanding and Managing Anxiety: A Scientist's Perspective

• Medical
  • Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is experiencing a sudden onset of anxiety that prevents them from attending class. This anxiety causes physical symptoms such as a dry throat, tense body, and nausea. It has become so overwhelming that the individual often skips class, and even when they do attend, they are unable to shake off the anxiety. Leaving class makes the symptoms disappear, but they also experience a similar reaction before going on amusement park rides. The individual has tried to think positive thoughts but it does not help. This issue has only started this year and was not present last year. It could possibly be a panic attack, an allergy, or a form of seizure activity. The individual is advised to see a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
LightbulbSun
I have this weird anxiety. It occurs even though I don't think about it. I can't seem to attend my class because of it. Whenever I'm going to class my throat gets dry, my body gets tense, and I get nauseous. It becomes so overwhelming that I just let it overcome me by not attending class. There have been a couple of times where I have attended class, but even when I'm in class I can't shake it off. It's still there. One time it got so overwhelming that I had to walk out of class and actually puke. It's weird, whenever I leave class my body no longer feels that way and I feel fine. This doesn't happen at any other time except for before I go on amusement park rides, but it goes away during the ride. What could be the problem here? I try thinking of good, relaxing thoughts, but even that gets undermined.

I haven't had this problem until this year. I've gone to my classes last year without any sweat. Any explanations? Because this is really bugging me.

Biology news on Phys.org
LightbulbSun said:
I have this weird anxiety. It occurs even though I don't think about it. I can't seem to attend my class because of it. Whenever I'm going to class my throat gets dry, my body gets tense, and I get nauseous. It becomes so overwhelming that I just let it overcome me by not attending class. There have been a couple of times where I have attended class, but even when I'm in class I can't shake it off. It's still there. One time it got so overwhelming that I had to walk out of class and actually puke. It's weird, whenever I leave class my body no longer feels that way and I feel fine. This doesn't happen at any other time except for before I go on amusement park rides, but it goes away during the ride. What could be the problem here? I try thinking of good, relaxing thoughts, but even that gets undermined.

I haven't had this problem until this year. I've gone to my classes last year without any sweat. Any explanations? Because this is really bugging me.
It sounds like a "panic attack", not that I know much about this. Anyway, you should definitely see a doctor because it's interferring with your ability to attend classes. In the meantime you can google panic attack and see how much of the description seems to fit your case. Other possibilities are that it's an allergy to something in the classroom, or a form of seizure activity in the brain known as a simple partial seizure, which is affecting your autonomic system alone, and is triggered by something in the classroom:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1118775

It's impossible to say, those are just things I know about that might manifest this way. A doctor will do several tests for certain, eg: blood tests, looking for anything out of whack, and take it from there.

You will need to ask your physician these sorts of questions. If you get a specific diagnosis, feel free to come back and ask questions about why those symptoms are associated with that particular problem.

1. Why do I have this problem?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are experiencing this problem. It could be due to genetic factors, environmental factors, lifestyle choices, or a combination of these. It is important to consult with a medical professional to determine the specific cause of your problem.

2. Is this problem hereditary?

Some problems can be hereditary, meaning they are passed down from family members. However, not all problems are hereditary and may be caused by other factors. It is best to consult with a healthcare provider to determine if your problem is hereditary or not.

3. Can stress or emotions contribute to this problem?

Yes, stress and emotions can play a role in the development of certain problems. Chronic stress can weaken the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to health issues. Additionally, emotional factors such as anxiety and depression can manifest in physical symptoms. It is important to address and manage stress and emotions in order to maintain overall health.

4. Could my diet be causing this problem?

Diet can definitely contribute to certain health problems. Eating a balanced and nutritious diet is important for maintaining good health. Certain foods can also trigger symptoms or exacerbate existing problems. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian to determine the best dietary choices for your specific problem.

5. Is there a cure for this problem?

The answer to this question depends on the specific problem. Some problems may have a cure, while others may only have treatments to manage symptoms. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider to discuss potential treatment options and expectations for managing your problem.