What is a Carnot Engine and How Does it Work?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to understand how to answer a problem involving a Carnot Engine. They have a maximum temperature of 700K and 300kW being rejected, and they want to know the sink temperature for 450kW being inputted at the upper temperature. The expert advises them to first understand the concept of a Carnot Engine before attempting to solve the problem. They also recommend referring to the recommended textbook or an additional reference for further understanding.
tomoyo_13m
i have this example problem...and i want to know how to answer this problem :confused:

a carnot engine is operated with its maximum temperature equal to 700K and 300kW were rejected. what is the sink temperature, if 450kW enters at the upper temperature.

tanx for your help..

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

Last edited:
actually i have no idea what carnot engine is all about...i look for some formula but its not related with the problem...:frown:

You can not go about learning science by plugging numbers into formulae without understanding the principle involved. You must first understand what a Carnot Engine is before you can attempt to answer this question.

I'm sure the recommended textbook for your course will cover this.

Additional reference: http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/152.mf1i.spring02/CarnotEngine.htm

What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the principles of thermodynamics. It is a closed system that converts heat energy into mechanical work.

Who invented the Carnot engine?

The Carnot engine was invented by French physicist Sadi Carnot in the early 19th century.

How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by using a heat source, such as a hot reservoir, to heat a working fluid. The fluid then expands, doing work on a piston or turbine. The resulting work is used to turn a generator or perform other mechanical tasks. The used fluid is then cooled by a cold reservoir and compressed back to its original state, ready to repeat the cycle.

What are the limitations of a Carnot engine?

The ideal Carnot engine has theoretical limitations, such as the need for an infinite amount of time to complete one cycle and the requirement of ideal components. In practical applications, the Carnot engine is limited by the efficiency of real-world heat sources and the loss of energy due to friction and other factors.

What are the real-world applications of a Carnot engine?

While the Carnot engine is not commonly used in its ideal form, the principles behind it have been used to develop more efficient engines and other heat-powered devices. The Carnot cycle is also used as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real-world engines and other thermodynamic systems.