Finding Frictional Force and Time to Stop a Spinning Disk

In summary, a uniform disk of radius R and mass M is spinning with angular speed ωi on a flat horizontal surface with coefficient of kinetic friction μk. The frictional force on the disk can be found using Ff = μN, where N is the normal force. The direction of ωi and α can be chosen to be downwards from the torque of the disk. Using τ = Iα and τ = f x R, we can calculate the time it takes for the disk to come to rest as Δt = R(ω - ωi) / 2μkg.
Destrio
A uniform disk of radius R and mass M is spinning with angular speed ωi. It is placed on a flat horizontal surface; the coefficient of kinetic friction between the disk and surface is μk.
a) Find the frictional force on the disk.
b) How long will it take for the disk to come to rest.

I'm confused about the directions of the forces.
I know mg will be down. And there will be no forces in the x direction.

Ff = μN

Will the normal force be up, opposite and equal to the force of gravity, or will the rotation change that?

Since we don't know the direction the disk is spinning can we find the direction of ωi and α?

Can we just choose for the direction of ωi and α to be downwards from the torque of the disk?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I have τ = Iα
Can I assume α is down?

so I can have:
ΣF = τ - f

or would it be:
ΣF = τ + mg - f - N

Iα + mg = f + N
I = ω/R
ωα/R + mg = f + N

another try:

τ = f x R
τ = Iα
τΔt = I(ω - ωi)
fRΔt = (1/2)MR^2(ω - ωi)
fΔt = (1/2)MR(ω - ωi)

Δt = (1/2)MR(ω - ωi) / μkFn
Δt = MR(ω - ωi) / 2μkMg
Δt = R(ω - ωi) / 2μkg

is this correct?

thanks

1. What is the "Spinning Disk Problem"?

The "Spinning Disk Problem" is a physics phenomenon that occurs when a spinning disk is placed on a horizontal surface and then set in motion. The disk will eventually stop spinning and begin to slide instead.

2. Why does the spinning disk stop spinning and start sliding?

This happens due to the conservation of angular momentum. As the disk slows down, its angular momentum decreases and is transferred to the surface below, causing the disk to slide instead of spin.

3. What factors affect the "Spinning Disk Problem"?

The "Spinning Disk Problem" is affected by the mass and shape of the disk, the surface it is placed on, and the initial speed at which it is spun. Friction between the disk and the surface also plays a role.

4. Can the "Spinning Disk Problem" be solved?

Technically, yes. By adjusting the initial conditions, such as the speed of spinning and the surface on which it is placed, the disk can be made to spin for longer periods of time before sliding. However, the problem itself is a natural consequence of the laws of physics and cannot be completely eliminated.

5. What real-world applications does the "Spinning Disk Problem" have?

The "Spinning Disk Problem" has applications in various industries, such as automotive and aerospace, where understanding and controlling angular momentum is important. It is also used in physics experiments to study the laws of motion and conservation of energy.