Debunking the Ghost Mabel Video: Exposing Fake Proof on YouTube and More

• Thread starter Desynched
  • Start date
In summary, there are two users on various video hosting sites claiming to have real video proof of a ghost in their home. However, there is no other documentation besides their homemade videos, leading many to believe it is a hoax. The only potential evidence is in videos of their pantry, but it appears to have been filmed in one night rather than on separate days. Many believe it is not worth debunking as it lacks compelling evidence and could easily be faked.
Desynched
On youtube and MANY other video hosting sites you can find two users, by the names TheYouShow and Saremy127 claiming to have real video proof of a ghost in their home.

I can't find any documentation other than these "home-made" videos, but it smells fishy. Alot of it seems like acting, but I'd like some more concrete proof.

The only thing I can think of is in the videos regarding their pantry, which were supposadely recorded on separate days, all the food items in the pantry are untouched and un-moved, suggesting they were all filmed in one night.

Please help debunk this new viral video :)

The URLS:
Real Ghost Video Proof 2:

Real Ghost Video Proof 3:

Scariest Ghost:

(notice behind the dresser when he says "I see you behind the dresser!"

Ghost Gets Angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Real video proof of a ghost. Right. There is no point in wasting time debunking something of this nature. It's like someone saying "here's a real video of the tooth fairy" and asking someone to debunk it. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Are you just asking people to point out flaws in the set up that they see?

Many users in this section of the forum I've read to say they've had personal experiences having them think differently.

But, yes, I am asking to find a hard-fact reason to let more open minded people dismiss it as well. I find it entertaining to debunk things like this - if you don't enjoy it, sorry.

The thing that you might consider first is the difficulty in faking these. Also, there is no known source, no corroborating witnesses, and no controls. Anyone with a camera and fish line could do this. Also, in the video #3, the door opens right after he says the date and time. That is a rather compliant ghost!

In order to be worth debunking, wouldn't you prefer something a little more compelling?

A sticky door latch and a draft will have that effect too. What light orbs is he talking about in the first video? I didn't see anything unusual.

Ivan Seeking said:
The thing that you might consider first is the difficulty in faking these. Also, there is no known source, no corroborating witnesses, and no controls. Anyone with a camera and fish line could do this. Also, in the video #3, the door opens right after he says the date and time. That is a rather compliant ghost!

In order to be worth debunking, wouldn't you prefer something a little more compelling?

Lol! Take a look at this comment in youtube:

"The second clip was taken in January and the ghost always appeared at 12:34 every night. This clip was taken in September again at 12:34 am. You expect us to believe your "ghost" follows daylight savings time?"

First vid: there's no orbs. True orbs, if there is any validity to the concept of orbs in the first place, will be bluish or greenish in color; anything else, especially red, is likely to be light reflecting off of dust or insects. They will appear to be solid, and have their own light instead of a reflected light, and will resemble a ping-pong ball moving across the camera's field of view. Other thoughts on orbs are http://the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/articles/general/photo-orbs.html at the T.A.P.S. web site. In any event, there's no orbs in the vid, only light reflected off the door as it moves. And the movement could be done easily with fishing line, as was said. There's no way, at that angle to determine if the door was completely latched or if the doorknob is turning. I have to say that, as it stands, this is not evidence because there are too many simpler possibilities and too many questions concerning the video.

Next film: same damn thing. He fully closes it and shows you the door is completely latched, but only after it has been opened, and at the original angle, you can't tell if the door is fully latched or not.

Third: no Oscars awarded for acting on this one. The shadow behind the dresser could have been caused by lots of things, at varying distances from the camera's light itself.

Last one: again, no points for acting. And any father that hears his daughter in pain and continues filming as he "runs up the stairs" to her aid knows that his daughter isn't really hurt. The "psychic" that looks surprised to see a portrait that she has been working on herself also gets no points for thespianism.

Overall? There's too much that is questionable in these films for them to be believable to me. He should have stopped with the "haunted pantry," although even in that, his overly dramatic text further gives me cause for cynicism. I believe that they are fake.

Burnsys said:
Lol! Take a look at this comment in youtube:

"The second clip was taken in January and the ghost always appeared at 12:34 every night. This clip was taken in September again at 12:34 am. You expect us to believe your "ghost" follows daylight savings time?"

LMAO well said, brother

I believe in Darth Vader: I saw him in a movie with my own eyes.

Now, I suppose there is something about the repeatability of experiments or observations that is at the base of good science, isn't it?

Cute. These clips are parts 2 and 3, take a look at part 1 (which you can get to by clicking on the r.h.s. video listing when you follow one of these links.) The only thing this user seems to do with such critiques is make a better fake ghost film. Notice on part 3 they corrected an error in part 2 where people were complaining that you coldn't see the bottom of the door, etc., but widening the field of view a bit, and so forth. I like the comment about all videos taking place at 12:34a.m., "what, the ghosts follow daylight savings time now?"
In "Video Proof 2" the ghost image is too subtle, and many viewers claimed not to see it. "Proof 3" hits you over the head with it. Guys, you went too far that time. Either this is a person behind the door or an image photoshopped in.
Dare I give them more fuel with which to make a more convincing film? Dare I give them the attention? Eh - it's fun:
> Note at t 1:05 there is an unusual pause or freeze of the frame (could be a film stop to allow for the person to get out of the pantry)
> The person *whispers* "what was that" and "what the hell was that", just happens to be the same words on two other of their videos.
> if I were really filming this and really saw a ghost stick their face in the glass, the first sound you would hear is me crapping my pants, the second would be a blood curdling scream - none of this whispering s**t. And wow is that a steady camera hand for someone who has literally just seen a ghost.
> A person does not reach into a pantry where he actually believed he saw a phantasm just to check on a bottle of Advil. Obviously the hand in the shot is a film conveyance to keep the viewer in the first person experience. Effective, yes, but also a dead giveaway (couldn't help the pun)
> There are several film cuts between t 1:15 and 1:24 - I count six - giving it a jerky appearance (and therefore more anxious tone). A good technique, but for an austensibly unedited film, that's six times too many.

Is that enough info, guys, for a better shoot the next time?

Those tapes should be sent to JREF [James Randi Foundation]!

It seems to be fake. They never show the whole pantry, leaving reason to believe they are hidding the posability that there is a access panel to the atttic in the pantry. Every time they film the door opening it is at an angle, you hear the door knob turn then a few seconds later the door will open slowly as if to give the person time to get up into the attic. All of the videos are clear until the wannabe ghost is out of the pantry in the kitchen, the for some reason it becomes extremely blurred, to hide the fsct that it is a living person and not a ghost at all.

Chronos said:
Those tapes should be sent to JREF [James Randi Foundation]!

Already did. Already debunked by he and one of his followers. The video is goofy, but the debunk is real.

EDIT: In general, you can assume any ghost video is either fake, or has trivial content. It is the safest way to ensure that you are correct.

FlexGunship said:
EDIT: In general (I know Ivan will hate this), you can assume any ghost video is either fake, or has trivial content. It is the safest way to ensure that you are correct.

The real point is that in this digital age, videos are pretty much useless. Even if a video were legitimate, it would be all but impossible to prove.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself. And I happen to agree.

Ivan Seeking said:
Also, don't put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself. And I happen to agree.

Sorry, deleted.

turns out the ghost videos may be real, they made a documentary about the pantry ghost family

you can look up "pantry ghost documentary" on youtube

What is "Debunk please: Ghost Mabel"?

"Debunk please: Ghost Mabel" is a popular internet meme that originated from the animated television show Gravity Falls. It refers to a scene in which the character Mabel Pines appears as a ghost, but is later revealed to be a trick using a projector and a sheet.

Is there any truth to the idea of "Ghost Mabel"?

No, the concept of a ghostly Mabel in the show is purely fictional and has no basis in reality. The scene was meant to be a humorous and playful nod to classic ghost stories.

Why do some people believe in "Ghost Mabel"?

Some people may believe in the idea of "Ghost Mabel" due to a combination of factors, such as a love for supernatural stories and a desire to believe in the fantastical. Additionally, the meme itself has gained popularity and can be easy to misinterpret as a real phenomenon.

Are there any scientific explanations for "Ghost Mabel"?

Yes, the scene in Gravity Falls can be easily explained through the use of technology and special effects. The projected image of Mabel's ghost is a common trick used in stage performances and illusions.

What can we learn from the "Debunk please: Ghost Mabel" meme?

The popularity of this meme highlights the importance of critical thinking and fact-checking in the age of the internet. It is important to question and verify information, especially when it comes to claims that seem too good to be true.

Back