Probability of valve opening when closed and closed when opened

In summary: What's the probability it opens correctly? Now what's the probability it closes correctly? Now what's the probability it does both?
estado3

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the probability that a valve will be able to undergo one cycle of demand?

Given that a particular type of remotely controlled mechanical valve can be assumed to have a probability of not opening, when closed, of 0.02 and a probability of not closing, when open, of 0.01

The valve is installed in a pipeline which is to carry a fluid with the valve initially closed. What is the probability that the valve will be able to undergo one cycle of demand? I.e it will open to allow fluid to flow when required and will then close to stop fluid flowing when required to stop it.

(BTW does anyone know any software to use with Microsoft word that can add symbols such as the exponential to your word document)

Homework Equations

probability of not opening when closed = 0.02

probability of not closing when open = 0.01

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really stuck on this I am assuming a branched diagram with all the various possibilities and for one cycle I assume closed-- branches into open and closed, which in turn branches into open and closed, and to multiply out the probabilities which gave me a wrong answer(correct ans is 0.970200)

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the probability it opens correctly? Now what's the probability it closes correctly? Now what's the probability it does both?

You hardly need a tree for just one "open-close" cycle!

Homework Statement

I see my mistake, the second part of the question now says:
In an attempt to provide additional reliability for the valve operation, two additional valves are now placed in series with the first valve on the pipeline described in question 2. Assuming that all failure events are statistically independent of each other, how does the presence of the additional values affect the reliability of the system in being able to perform one cycle of operation, namely that fluid flow should be allowed to take place when required and then be stopped.

Homework Equations

probability of not opening when closed = 0.02

probability of not closing when open = 0.01

The Attempt at a Solution

I did use a tree with three cycles i.e closed --- open with two branches, and two branches, from that and two branches from that, my answer was a little off the mark of the correct ans 0.941191

1. What is the probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed?

The probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed depends on several factors such as the type and condition of the valve, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and the force applied to the valve. In general, a well-maintained valve should have a high probability of opening when it is closed.

2. How can we calculate the probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed?

The calculation of the probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed can be done using mathematical models and statistical analysis. These models take into account the various factors that affect the valve's performance and provide an estimate of the probability of opening.

3. Does the probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed change over time?

Yes, the probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed can change over time due to wear and tear, changes in operating conditions, and other factors. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help ensure that the probability of a valve opening when it is closed remains high.

4. Is it possible for a valve to have a probability of both opening and closing when it is in the same position?

No, it is not possible for a valve to have a probability of both opening and closing when it is in the same position. A valve can only have one state, open or closed, at a given time. The probability of opening or closing is based on the current state of the valve.

5. How can we improve the probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed?

The probability of a valve opening when it was previously closed can be improved by regular maintenance, proper installation and operation, and using high-quality valves. It is also important to consider the type of fluid, pressure, and temperature when selecting a valve to ensure it is suitable for the specific application.