Another work-energy theorem problem

In summary, the stopping distance for an initial speed of 45 km/h is 100 m, while for an initial speed of 90 km/h, the stopping distance is 240 m.
aquamarine08
[SOLVED] Another work-energy theorem problem...

Homework Statement

An automobile traveling at 45 km/h is brought to a stop in 60 m. Assuming that the same conditions (same braking force, neglect reaction time) hold for all cases, (a) what would be the stopping distance for an initial speed of 90 km/h? (b) What would be the initial speed for a stopping distance of 100 m?

Homework Equations

w=[tex]\Delta[/tex]K

K= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v^{2}[/tex]

w=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a):
Using the equation w=[tex]\Delta[/tex]K, I was substituting Fd in for w and [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v^{2}[/tex] , making the equation Fd= [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v^{2}[/tex]. I was going to plug in the given information and then solve for d...but I came across a problem because I don't know what the mass is and I don't know how to use [tex]\Delta[/tex] while solving either.

For (b):
I was going to use the same method to solve for v in the equation Fd= [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v^{2}[/tex] but I encountered the same problems as before.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make use of the fact that the friction force (and the mass) is the same for all cases.

Doc Al said:
Make use of the fact that the friction force (and the mass) is the same for all cases.

Oh ok, so I could cancel out the mass because it's constant?

Yes, you end up not needing to know the actual mass.

ok, cool, I'll try it out...hopefully it'll work! Thanks so much!

Doc Al, I tried what you told me, and this is what I got...

(a)

At first, I didn't have the acceleration but I used a kinematic equation for figure it out:

[tex]d_{1}[/tex]=[tex]d_{0}[/tex]+[tex]V_{0}[/tex]t+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a[tex]t^{2}[/tex]

60= 0+90+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a
30=90+a
-60 m/[tex]s^{2}[/tex]=a

The negative made sense to me since the car was slowing down and then I used this to find the distance.

w=[tex]\Delta[/tex]k
Fd=[tex]\Delta[/tex]([tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v^{2}[/tex])

ma(d)=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v_{1}^{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v_{0}^{2}[/tex]

*cancel all "m"s*

a(d)= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]v_{1}^{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]v_{0}^{2}[/tex]

d= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex](0)^{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex](60)^{2}[/tex] / -60

d=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex](60)^{2}[/tex] / -60

d=30m

Unfortunately, my answer is wrong...the correct answer is supposed to be 240m.

(b)

w=[tex]\Delta[/tex]k

ma(d)=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v_{1}^{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v_{0}^{2}[/tex]

a(d)= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]v_{1}^{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]v_{0}^{2}[/tex]

a(100)= [tex]\frac{1}{2}0^{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{2}V_{0}^{2}[/tex]

For this question, I applied the same method as part a but I (again) didn't have the acceleration so I was trying to use a kinematic equation to solve it but all of the equations have to have the value for initial speed, which is what I am solving for. The correct answer for this part is 58km/h.

Please help! I'm lost!:cry:

Last edited:
aquamarine08 said:
At first, I didn't have the acceleration but I used a kinematic equation for figure it out:

[tex]d_{1}[/tex]=[tex]d_{0}[/tex]+[tex]V_{0}[/tex]t+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a[tex]t^{2}[/tex]

60= 0+90+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a
30=90+a
-60 m/[tex]s^{2}[/tex]=a

The negative made sense to me since the car was slowing down and then I used this to find the distance.
You can't use that particular kinematic equation to find the acceleration, since you don't have the time. But you don't need to find the acceleration.

w=[tex]\Delta[/tex]k
This is all you need. Now make use of the fact that the friction force (F) and the mass (m) are constant. Hint: That tells you that stopping distance (d) is proportional to [itex]\Delta v^2[/itex].

Putting all the constants to one side:

[tex]\frac{2F}{m} = \frac{\Delta v^2}{d}[/tex]

You can use that constant ratio to solve all parts of this problem.

sorry for being so annoying... what i understood from your last post was that since F and m are constant, they don't have to included in the equation so after solving the ratio...

[tex]\frac{2F}{m}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]v^{2}[/tex]}{d}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-90^{2}}{d}[/tex]

2= [tex]\frac{-8100}{d}[/tex]

-4050 km= d

-4.05 m= d

am i doing something wrong?? (i surely am...but could you explain some more... thank you SO much! )

Since this is constant:

[tex]\frac{2F}{m} = \frac{\Delta v^2}{d}[/tex]

You can set up the ratio like this:

[tex]\frac{(\Delta v^2)_1}{d_1} = \frac{(\Delta v^2)_2}{d_2}[/tex]

Using the first set of data gives you:

[tex]\frac{(\Delta v^2)_1}{d_1} = \frac{(45 km/h)^2}{(60 m)}[/tex]

The second set of data gives you:

[tex]\frac{(\Delta v^2)_2}{d_2} = \frac{(90 km/h)^2}{(d_2)}[/tex]

Set those ratios equal and solve for [itex]d_2[/itex].

Last edited:
alright...thanks a lot for all your help! :)

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when a force is applied to an object, it either speeds up or slows down, and the work done by the force is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy.

2. How is the work-energy theorem used in physics?

The work-energy theorem is used to solve problems involving the motion of objects and the forces acting on them. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the change in an object's kinetic energy, and the final velocity of an object after a force has been applied.

3. Can you give an example of a work-energy theorem problem?

One example of a work-energy theorem problem would be a ball being thrown into the air. The initial kinetic energy of the ball is equal to the work done by the person throwing it. As the ball rises, gravity does negative work on it, reducing its kinetic energy. At the highest point, the ball's kinetic energy is zero, but it still has gravitational potential energy. As the ball falls back to the ground, gravity does positive work on it, increasing its kinetic energy back to its initial value.

4. What are the key concepts of the work-energy theorem?

The key concepts of the work-energy theorem are work, kinetic energy, and net force. Work is the product of a force and the distance over which it acts. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Net force refers to the overall force acting on an object, which can change its kinetic energy.

5. How does the work-energy theorem relate to other principles in physics?

The work-energy theorem is closely related to other principles in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principle of conservation of energy. It is a direct consequence of Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. The work-energy theorem also demonstrates the conservation of energy, as the work done by all forces on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, and energy cannot be created or destroyed.