How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Two-Mass Pulley System?

• Thread starter xcgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the tension in the string is 9.8 N and the masses will move a distance of 5.00 m in the first second of motion.
xcgirl
[SOLVED] Pulley w/ two hanging masses

Homework Statement

Two objects with masses of 2.00 kg and 6.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as in Figure P4.34.

(a) Determine the tension in the string.

(b) Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of each mass. (c) Determine the distance each mass will move in the first second of motion if both masses start from rest.

Homework Equations

f = ma
w = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to do this:

2(9.8) + 6(9.8)

this was wrong

i also tried to subtract them

this was wrong

can someone get me started?
]

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two different masses, so you'll need to draw two different free-body diagrams to represent the forces acting on each mass. Set up your coordinate system so that the acceleration will be along the same positive axis is each diagram. This should help you set up the equation for the net force for each mass. Keep in mind that the 6kg mass is heavier than the 2kg mass, so you'll know which way the masses are accelerating. Can you show me how you would set up the two net force equations?

well i thought that i should find the force of the 6kg mass and subtract the force of the 2kg mass to get the net force. so like:

m2(g) - m1(g) = F
9.8(6) - 9.8(2) = F
39.2 = F

When you say "the force of" I assume you mean the force of the weight. The equation above doesn't take the tension into account. If I have a mass tied to a rope, I know that two forces are acting on that mass, the weight force, and the tension force. I also know that the sum of these two forces will be equal to the mass times the acceleration of the mass. Knowing this, I can write the equation for the net force on the mass. If I take upwards to be positive, I'd have:

Net Force = Tension Force - Weight Force = Mass(acceleration)

Since you have two masses, you'll have two of these equations. So you'll have two equations with two unknowns. Let me know if you're still confused.

there just doesn't seem to be enough information. all i have is those two masses. i don't see how i can get the tension from that.

You get the tension by using Newton's Second Law for each mass. What are the two forces acting on the 6kg mass? What are the two forces acting on the 2kg mass?

6kg - gravity and the 2 kg mass

2kg- gravity and the 6 kg mass

so to find the tension you would do f = ma

but i feel like its more complicated than that

So each mass has a weight force, but where does the tension act? I think you may be picturing situation wrong. It would look something like this:

http://www.hazemsakeek.com/Physics_Lectures/Mechanics/mechanicsimages/lectur4.gif

So the forces acting on each mass would look like this:

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/pepsi_in_a_can/?action=view&current=untitled8.jpg

Knowing this, how would you set up your two net force equations?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i got it now

m1g - T = m1a

T - m2g = m2a

so

6(9.8) - T = 5a

T- 2(9.8) = 2a

then i'll just solve for a in one of the equations and use substitution

Thanks for all the help!

You've got it, excellent :)

1. How does the presence of two hanging masses affect the pulley system?

The presence of two hanging masses in a pulley system will increase the overall load on the system and require more force to lift the masses. This is because the weight of both masses is acting on the pulley, and the force needed to lift them is distributed between the two sides of the pulley.

2. What is the relationship between the masses and the force needed to lift them in a pulley system?

In a pulley system with two hanging masses, the force needed to lift the masses is directly proportional to the combined weight of the masses. This means that as the masses increase, the force needed to lift them also increases.

3. Can the masses in a pulley system with two hanging masses be different?

Yes, the masses in a pulley system with two hanging masses can be different. This will affect the distribution of weight on the pulley and the amount of force needed to lift the masses, but the principles of the pulley system will still apply.

4. How can the mechanical advantage be calculated in a pulley system with two hanging masses?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system with two hanging masses can be calculated by dividing the weight of the hanging masses by the force needed to lift them. This will give you the number of times the force is multiplied by the pulley system.

5. What are some real-life applications of a pulley system with two hanging masses?

One example of a real-life application of a pulley system with two hanging masses is a window washing rig. The pulley system helps lift and lower the platform with the workers and equipment, allowing them to easily access the exterior of tall buildings. Another example is a weightlifting machine, where the pulley system helps distribute the weight and make it easier for the user to lift heavy loads.