Kinetic energy of harmonic oscilator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expectation value of the kinetic energy for the nth state of a harmonic oscillator using the given equations. After calculation, it is determined that negative kinetic energy is not allowed and only two terms will survive in the final integral. The equation for a\psi_{n} is also corrected. The solution is marked as solved.
stunner5000pt
[SOLVED] Kinetic energy of harmonic oscilator

Homework Statement

Find the expectation value of the kinetic energy of the nth state of a Harmonic oscillator

Homework Equations

[tex] <T> = \frac{<p^2>}{2m} [/tex]
[tex] p_{x} = \frac{1}{i} \sqrt{\frac{m\hbar\omega}{2}} (\hat{a} -\hat{a}^\dagger)[/tex]
[tex] a^\dagger \psi_{n} = \sqrt{n+1} \psi_{n+1} [/tex]
[tex] a\psi_{n} = \sqrt{n-1} \psi_{n-1} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So [tex] p_{x}^2 = \left(\frac{1}{i} \sqrt{\frac{m\hbar\omega}{2}} (\hat{a} -\hat{a}^\dagger)\right)^2[/tex]

So to calculate the <T> do i just do this:
[tex] <T> = <\Psi_{n}|\frac{p^2}{2m}|\Psi(n)> [/tex]
[tex] <T> = -\frac{\hbar\omega}{4} \int \psi_{n}^* (aa - aa^\dagger - a^\dagger a + a^\dagger a^\dagger) \psi_{n} dx [/tex]

[tex] <T> = -\frac{\hbar\omega}{4} \int\psi_{n}^* \sqrt{n(n-1)} \psi_{n-2} + \sqrt{n(n+1)}\psi_{n} + \sqrt{n^2} \psi_{n} + \sqrt{(n+1)(n+2)} \psi_{n+2} dx [/tex]

only one term will survive, the nth state ones because the wave functions are orthogonal
[tex] <T> = -\frac{n\hbar\omega}{4} [/tex]

Is this correct??

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Negative Kinetic energy is not allowed.

In your final integral, two of four terms will survive.

And also:
[tex] a\psi_{n} = \sqrt{n-1} \psi_{n-1} [/tex]
should be:
[tex] a\psi_{n} = \sqrt{n} \psi_{n-1} [/tex]

thanks i got the required answer!
where do i mark this solved?

What is kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator is the energy associated with the motion of the oscillator. It is a type of potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy as the oscillator moves back and forth.

How is the kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * ω^2 * A^2 * cos^2(ωt), where m is the mass of the oscillator, ω is the angular frequency, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, and t is the time.

What is the relationship between the kinetic energy and potential energy of a harmonic oscillator?

In a harmonic oscillator, the kinetic energy and potential energy are constantly interchanging. As the oscillator moves towards its equilibrium position, the potential energy decreases and the kinetic energy increases. As it moves away from the equilibrium position, the opposite occurs.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator is affected by the mass of the oscillator, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the angular frequency. Additionally, any external forces acting on the oscillator can also affect its kinetic energy.

How does the kinetic energy of a harmonic oscillator change over time?

In a harmonic oscillator, the kinetic energy remains constant throughout each oscillation cycle. However, the kinetic energy may change over time if the amplitude, frequency, or mass of the oscillator changes.