How can one prove that the maximum entropy occurs

In summary, the maximum entropy of a system occurs when all P_i are equal, which can be proven by adding a Lagrange multiplier to enforce the constraint of the sum of P_i being equal to 1 and then taking the partial derivatives with respect to P_i and the Lagrange multiplier. This results in all P_i being equal.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am calculating entropy using the formula:

[tex] S=-\sum_i P_i \ln{P_i} [/tex]

where the sum is over all of the microstates of my system and P_i is the probability to find a particle in microstate i.

How can one prove that the maximum entropy occurs when P_i is the same for all i?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Enforce [itex]\sum_i P_i=1[/itex] with a Lagrange multiplier; that is, extremize
[tex]-\sum_i P_i\ln P_i + k\bigl(\sum_i P_i-1\bigr)[/tex]
with respect to both [itex]P_i[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex].

The sum of the P_i=1, that's a constraint. Add a lagrange multiplier to enforce the constraint, like alpha*(sum(P_i)-1). Now take the partial derivatives wrt all variables and set them equal to zero. The partial wrt alpha gives you sum(P_i)-1=0. The partial wrt to P_i gives you an expression for P_i in terms of alpha. alpha is a constant, so all P_i are equal.

Avodyne said:
Enforce [itex]\sum_i P_i=1[/itex] with a Lagrange multiplier; that is, extremize
[tex]-\sum_i P_i\ln P_i + k\bigl(\sum_i P_i-1\bigr)[/tex]
with respect to both [itex]P_i[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex].

Great minds think alike. But some are faster.

1. How do you define maximum entropy?

Maximum entropy is a concept in thermodynamics and information theory that refers to the state of a system with the highest possible level of disorder or uncertainty. It represents the most likely state of a system given the available information.

2. What is the importance of proving that maximum entropy occurs?

Proving that maximum entropy occurs is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It also provides a basis for making decisions in fields such as statistical mechanics and information theory.

3. What are the methods used to prove that maximum entropy occurs?

There are several methods used to prove that maximum entropy occurs, including the principle of maximum entropy, the maximum entropy distribution, and the method of Lagrange multipliers. These methods involve using mathematical equations and principles to demonstrate that the state of maximum entropy is the most likely state of a system.

4. Can maximum entropy be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, maximum entropy can be observed in real-life systems, such as in the distribution of energy among particles in a gas or the distribution of letters in a written language. It is a fundamental concept that applies to a wide range of natural and man-made systems.

5. Are there any challenges in proving that maximum entropy occurs?

Yes, there are some challenges in proving that maximum entropy occurs, particularly when dealing with complex systems. The calculations involved can be difficult and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, some systems may have multiple states of maximum entropy, making it challenging to determine the most likely state.