Dimensional Analysis: Separating Fact from Fiction

In summary, dimensional analysis is used to ensure that physical quantities in equations are commensurable and physically meaningful. A dimensionally correct equation may or may not be correct, while a dimensionally incorrect equation is always wrong. It is important to check for mistakes if you find yourself adding or comparing apples to oranges. Additionally, while dimensionally correct equations can be true, they can also be physically incorrect. An example of this is the equation \vec{F} = 2m\vec{a}.
dougr81
I understand the concept of dimensional analysis and what it's used for etc..My question refers to a dimensionally correct or incorrect equation being true or false. Here are the possiblities:

1. A dimensionally correct equation may be correct.
2. A dimensionally incorrect equation may be correct.
3. A dimensionally correct equation must be correct.
4. A dimensionally incorrect equation must be wrong.
5. A dimensionally correct equation may be wrong.

I think all but #3 and #4 are true, but I may be wrong. Any takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 and 5 do not conflict. 2 and 4 do conflict as do 3 and 5. i would disagree with you about 2 and 4. i think 2 is wrong and 4 is correct. so i think that 1, 4, and 5 are correct. 2 and 3 are incorrect.

physical quantities that are added, subtracted, equated, or compared need to be commensurable. if you discover that you are adding apples to oranges, then it's time to stop and look for a previous mistake.

Last edited:
1. True
2. False
3. False
4. True
5. True

4 is true for the same reason that 2 is false. If you have a dimensionally incorrect equation then you are saying at some level that a physical unit equals a pure number. An expression like "1 m = 23.43" is never true.

EDIT: I agree with rbj who was faster on the post!

Thanks for the explanation you two, it makes sense! I thought a dimensionally correct eqn had to be correct but I now see why that's not true. Thanks again!

As an example, one can easily construct equations which are dimensionally correct, but not physically correct, such as

[tex]\vec{F} = 2m\vec{a}[/tex]

Ben Niehoff said:
As an example, one can easily construct equations which are dimensionally correct, but not physically correct, such as

[tex]\vec{F} = 2m\vec{a}[/tex]

well, if you define a Newton of force to be the force needed to accelerate 1/2 kg of mass by 1 m/s2, then it would be correct. but it's a dumb definition for the unit force.

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used in science to convert between different units of measurement. It involves multiplying or dividing values by conversion factors to ensure that the units being used are consistent and accurate.

Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it allows scientists to accurately and easily convert between different units of measurement. This is crucial in scientific experiments and calculations, as using incorrect units can result in incorrect conclusions.

How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you must first identify the given quantity and the desired quantity, and then determine the conversion factor needed to convert between the two. You then multiply or divide the given value by the appropriate conversion factor to get the desired quantity in the correct units.

What are some common conversion factors used in dimensional analysis?

Some common conversion factors used in dimensional analysis include those for length (e.g. 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters), mass (e.g. 1 gram = 1000 milligrams), and time (e.g. 1 minute = 60 seconds). It is important to always use reliable and accurate conversion factors.

Can dimensional analysis be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in all scientific fields that involve measurements and units. It is a fundamental tool in chemistry, physics, biology, and many other disciplines. It is also commonly used in engineering and other applied sciences.