Looking For Comprehensive Works on the Lives of Copernicus and Galileo

In summary, there are several books that could help with understanding the lives and contributions of Copernicus and Galileo. These include "Copernicus and Galileo: The Rise of Scientific Knowledge" by Marjorie Senechal, "Galileo: A Life" by James Reston Jr., "Galileo: For Copernicanism and for the Church" by Annibale Fantoli, "The Copernican Revolution" by Thomas S. Kuhn, "Revolution in Science: How Galileo and Darwin Changed Our World" by John Gribbin, "Galileo's Mistake: A New Look at the Epic Confrontation Between Galileo and the Church" by Wade Rowland, "Galileo's
karamazov
I'm in need of some help here regarding works on the lives and thought of Copernicus and Galileo. Specifically I'm looking for books that would survey each of their contributions to science while also devoting a similar amount of time to how each of them influenced scientific inquiry at that time, what implications their ideas had for those societies, conflicts with the Catholic Church, conflicts with political leaders, etc.

Basically I'm looking for books that do for Copernicus and Galileo what The Duty of Genius did for Wittgenstein.

Any help at all here would be greatly appreciated as I really have no idea where to start from.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some books that might help you: Copernicus and Galileo: The Rise of Scientific Knowledge by Marjorie Senechal (1985) Galileo: A Life by James Reston Jr. (1994) Galileo: For Copernicanism and for the Church by Annibale Fantoli (1994) The Copernican Revolution by Thomas S. Kuhn (1957) Revolution in Science: How Galileo and Darwin Changed Our World by John Gribbin (1985) Galileo's Mistake: A New Look at the Epic Confrontation Between Galileo and the Church by Wade Rowland (2009) Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel (1999) Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and the Search for Justice in Science by Alice Dreger (2015).

I can understand your interest in learning more about the lives and contributions of Copernicus and Galileo. Both of these scientists have made significant contributions to our understanding of the universe and have greatly influenced scientific inquiry at their time and beyond.

To begin with, I would recommend starting with primary sources such as their original works and letters. This will give you a firsthand account of their thoughts and ideas. Copernicus' major work "De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium" and Galileo's "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems" are excellent starting points.

In terms of comprehensive works, I would suggest "Galileo: A Very Short Introduction" by Stillman Drake and "Copernicus: A Very Short Introduction" by Owen Gingerich. These books provide a concise overview of their lives, contributions, and impact on society and the Catholic Church.

Another highly recommended book is "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel, which offers a unique perspective on Galileo's life through the letters exchanged between him and his daughter.

For a more in-depth analysis, I would suggest "Galileo" by J.L. Heilbron and "Copernicus and the Scientific Revolution" by John Henry. These books delve into the social, political, and religious context of their time and how it influenced their work.

Lastly, "The Scientific Revolution: A Very Short Introduction" by Lawrence M. Principe provides a broader perspective on the scientific revolution and the role of Copernicus and Galileo in it.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your search for comprehensive works on Copernicus and Galileo. Happy reading!

What are the most comprehensive works on the lives of Copernicus and Galileo?

Some of the most comprehensive works on the lives of Copernicus and Galileo include "The Life of Copernicus" by George Joachim Rheticus, "The Galileo Affair: A Documentary History" by Maurice A. Finocchiaro, and "Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love" by Dava Sobel.

What are the main topics covered in these works?

These works cover a wide range of topics related to the lives of Copernicus and Galileo, including their early education and influences, their scientific discoveries and theories, the controversial reactions and backlash they faced, and their personal lives and relationships.

Are these works historically accurate?

Yes, these works are based on extensive research and historical documents, and have been reviewed and verified by experts in the field. However, it is important to keep in mind that historical accounts may vary and new information may be discovered over time.

Do these works provide a balanced perspective on Copernicus and Galileo?

These works aim to provide a comprehensive and objective perspective on the lives of Copernicus and Galileo, including both their achievements and controversies. However, it is always important to critically analyze and consider multiple sources when studying historical figures.

Are there any recommended readings for further study on Copernicus and Galileo?

In addition to the aforementioned works, some other recommended readings for further study on Copernicus and Galileo include "The Copernican Revolution: Planetary Astronomy in the Development of Western Thought" by Thomas S. Kuhn, "Galileo: A Life" by James Reston Jr., and "The Essential Galileo" edited by Maurice A. Finocchiaro.