Transforming Images to a Projective Plane: What Algorithm Should I Use?

• Thread starter todorangrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation is discussing the transformation of a camera image to a top-down map view. The speaker is struggling with finding the right algorithm to use and is seeking advice. They mention using a camera on a moving car to monitor a road and want to know what mathematical function should be used to correlate the dots in the image to the corresponding points on the map.
todorangrg
Hello,
I'm working right now on a project which evolves transforming an image taken with a camera to a plane surface at an angle x and a height h into a view-from-the-top image. I searched which algorithm should I use and I saw that it is a matter of projective plane transformation but there I got stuck because i don't now how to express the "viewer point" if I want the real image to be constructed plane, as a map. Or should I search for something else? What should I use?

your help would be highly appreciated.
George T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a diagram. I'm having a hard time understating what you're asking?

For example: "at an angle x" were is this angle?

I think you should draw the set up you have with the camera, and label the "height h" and "the angle x" so we know what you mean.

I mean that the camera is standing on a car that is on a flat road and the perpendicular line from the road to the camera has the height h. For a better viewing the camera pithced in a little downloard position(in order tu be able to se the things that are close to it and not just the infinite points) the view of this camera(perspective) I want to transform in a map like view.
I hope I made my self clear...if not just tell me and I will post a diagram.

Okay, so you're looking at taking a moving image and making it into a map? Or are you using photos?

In either case you'll need to do a lot of photo stitching. There are some 3rd party softwars that do similar tasks, using still photos:

http://iovision.com/demyst/qtvr_panorama.html

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/qtvr/ [Broken]

http://www.ptgui.com/info/image_stitching.html

Now how your image looks will depend on your lenses. To some degree many have a "fish eye" effect-- this must be adjusted to get the images to stitch together seamlessly.

In other words it's not just a matter of simple geometry. But happily there are programs out there that address these very problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact I have a tracking electronic camera and I want to monitor the black road(the road will be "seen" by the camera as 8 pixel height blobs of which coordinates I know in a 144*80 pixels camera so I don't think that I need a very precise corection because the rezolution of the cam itself will be low). After I make the map I create with this blobs B spline curves using the blobs as contol points...but that's something else. Anyway the stiching of the pictures doesn't bothers me because I can monitore the movement of the car in order to know how much the picture(in fact the road line because that's the only thing that matters to me) advanced.
So...what matematical function should I use so that each dot from the image to have a corespointing dot in the "map"?

Last edited:

1. What is a projective plane question?

A projective plane question is a mathematical problem that involves determining the number of lines and points in a projective plane, which is a geometric concept used in projective geometry.

2. How do you approach solving a projective plane question?

The first step is to understand the concept of projective planes and their properties. Then, you can use mathematical formulas and equations to calculate the number of lines and points in the given projective plane.

3. What are the real-world applications of projective plane questions?

Projective plane questions have many real-world applications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, and coding theory. They are also used in the study of projective geometry and its applications in areas like architecture and art.

4. Can projective plane questions have multiple solutions?

Yes, projective plane questions can have multiple solutions, depending on the given parameters and the approach used to solve them. It is important to carefully assess the question and use appropriate methods to arrive at the correct solution.

5. How important are projective plane questions in the field of mathematics?

Projective plane questions are significant in the field of mathematics as they help develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. They also have important applications in various branches of mathematics and other fields such as computer science and engineering.