What Are Closed Timelike Curves?

In summary, while searching for information on relativity, the concept of closed timelike curves was discovered, which allows for the possibility of time travel. A closed timelike curve is a function that represents the path of a massive object through spacetime, with the conditions of being timelike and closed. However, this concept would violate the second law of thermodynamics and is only allowed in general relativity, not quantum mechanics.
Champion
i was going over some relativity search online and came across what is called a closed timelike curve and that i actually allows time travel, am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
A "curve" is a function [itex]c:A\rightarrow M[/itex] where A is some interval of real numbers and M is the spacetime manifold. "Timelike" means that if we call the tangent vector v and the metric tensor g, then g(v,v)<0 at all points on the curve. (If we define the metric with a +--- signature instead of -+++, it's ">" instead of "<"). "Closed" means that c(t+T)=c(t) for some real numbers t and T such that both t and t+T are in A.

A timelike curve is the type of curve that can represent that path of a massive object through spacetime. If it's closed, the object will meet a younger version of itself at some point.

Edit: I should probably add that the condition g(v,v)<0 can also be written

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}v^\mu v^\nu<0[/tex]

and that in a local inertial frame, this is just

[tex]-(v^0)^2+(v^1)^2+(v^2)^2+(v^3)^2<0[/tex]

Last edited:
i was thinking it over,about the constant energy.ctc's would violate 2nd law of therodynamics,also i looked up that GR allows ctc's but QM does not.

1. What are closed timelike curves?

Closed timelike curves (CTCs) are hypothetical paths in the fabric of spacetime that allow an object to return to its own past. This means that events on the CTC can occur in a sequence that violates the principle of causality, where the effect happens before the cause.

2. How do closed timelike curves work?

CTCs are predicted by some solutions to Einstein's field equations in general relativity, such as the Kerr and Godel metrics. These solutions involve rotating black holes and cosmic strings, respectively. The path of a CTC is a closed loop in spacetime, and an object traveling along this path would experience time travel.

3. Can closed timelike curves really exist?

While CTCs are allowed by certain solutions to Einstein's equations, they have not been observed in nature and are currently considered hypothetical. There are also several paradoxes that arise if CTCs were to exist, such as the grandfather paradox, which makes their existence unlikely.

4. What are the implications of closed timelike curves?

If CTCs were to exist, it would challenge our understanding of causality and time as a linear concept. It could also potentially lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies in the timeline. However, the existence of CTCs is still a subject of debate and further research is needed to fully understand their implications.

5. Are there any real-life examples of closed timelike curves?

Currently, there are no known real-life examples of closed timelike curves. However, some scientists have proposed that the rotation of cosmic strings could create CTCs. These are hypothetical entities that have not been observed in nature but are predicted by some theories in physics.