New thread gets error: Sorry the page your looking for can't be found.

• Bug
  • Thread starter Peeter
  • Start date
In summary, there is an error occurring when trying to submit or preview a new thread in the programming section. This issue has been reported by multiple users and seems to be content related, specifically with the use of LaTeX. Some users have found workarounds by copying and pasting their posts or asking a mentor to move their thread to the appropriate forum. The problem has been ongoing for about 2 weeks and has been reported in other threads as well.
Peeter
Trying to submit or preview a new thread in the programming section I get the following error:

Sorry the page your looking for can't be found.

EDIT:

Hmm, was able to submit this thread, so it isn't a systematic issue. Also tried moving my code fragment to an attachment, and that doesn't seem to help. Specific thread category attempted was:

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums > Other Sciences > Computer Science > Programming
Post New Thread

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have exactly the same problem as you. I first thought it was my connection, but soon after I realized that it wasn't. I also thought it was because I was using Google Chrome and tried with Firefox 3 but I also get this error... In fact if you click on "Submit Reply", it will submit it even if you see the error message. And it submit it almost instantly, as if you have no problem at all... while in fact the error page takes some time to appear.
EDIT : Ah! And it's quite a new problem, I'd say I have this problem since 2 weeks aproximately. Before this, everything was fine.

Some people are still posting in there after you guys have reported this. Guess you'll have to hang tight until an Admin sees this thread and can work out what is going on. If you want your threads posted there why not ask a mentor (by private message) if it would be possible to make a thread elsewhere and see if they can move it to the appropriate forum for you (explain why you can't create one directly first). Don't however create the thread before getting permission.

Perhaps it's a permissions problem, I've just posted in the programming forum without a hitch.

Can anyone else replicate Peeter's error message?

Sorry, I wasn't precise enough. It's not a problem for posting into the "programming forum" but in all forums. (At least for me).
EDIT :
For Some people are still posting in there after you guys have reported this.
Yes I know! That's not the problem. We can still post, but we don't see the post after having submitted it, so at first we were doubting if it was sent. But yes, it is always sent, so the problem is not sending the post but seeing it afterwards. It also occur when we want to preview it. So now I copy and paste all my posts in case that if I push on "preview post" I can still recover my text that will be lost. (because not sent this time).

It appears that for me it is content related. I was able to make a test post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=260716

but, a new thread with the attached content fails (I can't post or preview that in this thread either).

EDIT: see in similar threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=176531

looks like it was content related there too. Perhaps <pre>...</pre> wasn't agreeable?

Attachments

• PF bool.txt
    895 bytes · Views: 413
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now regularly seeing this error message where my posts contain latex.

1. What could be causing the error message "Sorry the page your looking for can't be found" when creating a new thread?

The error message could be caused by a variety of reasons, including a broken link, incorrect URL, or a server issue. It could also be due to the thread being deleted or moved.

2. How can I troubleshoot the issue of getting the "Sorry the page your looking for can't be found" error when creating a new thread?

You can start by checking the URL and making sure it is correct. If the URL is correct, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If the issue persists, it could be a server problem and you may need to contact the website's technical support team.

3. Can a user fix the "Sorry the page your looking for can't be found" error when creating a new thread?

In most cases, a user cannot fix this error as it is usually caused by an issue on the website's end. However, the user can try refreshing the page or using a different browser to see if that resolves the issue.

4. Is there a way to prevent getting the "Sorry the page your looking for can't be found" error when creating a new thread?

As a user, you can ensure that you are using the correct URL and that the website is functioning properly before attempting to create a new thread. If the error persists, you may need to contact the website's technical support team for further assistance.

5. What should I do if I continue to get the "Sorry the page your looking for can't be found" error when creating a new thread?

If the error message persists, it may be a problem on the website's end. You can try clearing your browser's cache or using a different browser. If the issue still persists, you should contact the website's technical support team for further assistance.