Solve Block and Friction Problem: Get Tips & Help Now

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving a system of three blocks connected by a string. The question asks for suggestions on how to solve it, and a user suggests analyzing the forces on each block. There is confusion about the blocks not moving relative to each other and calculating the normal force between block 3 and block 2. The expert advises to label unknown forces and apply Newton's 2nd law, and to consider a contact force between blocks 2 and 3 that has both a normal and vertical component.
physics_learn
I need help with this question:

Please see attachement. I tried to solve by making a free body diagram of all the blocks but i don't seem to get to a solution

Any sugestions on how to solve are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Physic.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 207
Physics news on Phys.org
physics_learn said:
I need help with this question:

Please see attachement. I tried to solve by making a free body diagram of all the blocks but i don't seem to get to a solution

Any sugestions on how to solve are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to Physics Forums,

Firstly, I'm assuming that since no 'stiffness parameter' given, the question means that the string does not undergoe any compression or extension, would that be correct?

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to Physics Forums,

Firstly, I'm assuming that since no 'stiffness parameter' given, the question means that the string does not undergoe any compression or extension, would that be correct?

That is correct, the string compression or extension is neglected. We don't know the material of the string either so we assume the string only applies tension.

Any idea on how to solve this question. Thank you?

physics_learn said:
That is correct, the string compression or extension is neglected. We don't know the material of the string either so we assume the string only applies tension.

Any idea on how to solve this question. Thank you?
Start by analysing the forces on each block.

I tried to do the free body diagram for all blocks but I'm confused about the part that says "the blocks do not move relative to each other". Does this mean that the system is moving with constant velocity? and how do you calculate the normal force between block 3 and block 2?

Thanks for the suggestions

physics_learn said:
I tried to do the free body diagram for all blocks but I'm confused about the part that says "the blocks do not move relative to each other". Does this mean that the system is moving with constant velocity?
No, it means that all three blocks move with the same velocity.
and how do you calculate the normal force between block 3 and block 2?
Start by analyzing the forces on each block. If you don't know a given force, label it and continue. (For example, call the normal force N.) Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Hint: Do the blocks accelerate?

Thank you Doc Al. Since there is a force applied to m3 there is acceleration, but inside the system the three blocks are stationary.
I am still not sure how to calculate the normal force. Do i have to consider a contact force between blocks 2 and 3? I am having difficulties picturing this.

Please help

physics_learn said:
I am still not sure how to calculate the normal force. Do i have to consider a contact force between blocks 2 and 3?
Absolutely. That contact force has both a normal and a vertical component.

1. What are some tips for solving block and friction problems?

Some tips for solving block and friction problems include drawing a free body diagram, using Newton's second law, and considering the direction and magnitude of forces acting on the block.

2. How can I calculate the coefficient of friction in a block and friction problem?

To calculate the coefficient of friction, you can use the formula μ = Ff/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, Ff is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving block and friction problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to include all forces acting on the block, using the wrong units for calculations, and neglecting to consider the direction of forces.

4. How can I determine the acceleration of a block in a friction problem?

To determine the acceleration of a block, you can use Newton's second law (F = ma) and solve for acceleration. Make sure to consider the direction of forces and use the appropriate units for calculations.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve a block and friction problem?

There is no specific order in which you must solve a block and friction problem, but it is important to carefully consider all forces and use logical steps in your calculations to ensure an accurate solution.