How does these two equations relate?

• Thread starter Zerius
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for determining the relationship between the coefficient of volume expansion and the coefficient of linear expansion is dV=(dV/dL)*dL = 3L^2*dL. This can be understood by expressing volume as a function of length, where Volume = L^3. The derivative of this function, dV/dL, is the rate of change of volume with respect to length. By manipulating this derivative with basic calculus, we can arrive at the formula 3L^2 for the coefficient of volume expansion. This process may seem confusing, but it is a common practice among engineers and physicists.
Zerius
Hi, I'm in first year engineering and I have trouble understanding where this formula comes from in determining the relationship between the coefficient of volume expansion and the coeff of linear expansion.

dV=(dV/dL)*dL = 3L^2*dL

now i know that they changed the dV in the brackets to dL^3, but then I don't understand how dL^3/dL became 3L^2? Is there a part of calculus I am missing? does it have to do with a rate of change divided by a rate of change?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express V as a function of L?

Volume = L^3, for a cube? i think that's the relationship there

Zerius said:
Volume = L^3, for a cube? i think that's the relationship there

What is dV/dL?

If y = x^3, what is dy/dx?

then it is 3x^2, that's would be dy/dx. :S how about dX^3/dX? is it the same? OH or is it like dy/dx is the same as d/dX so doesn't matter what it is at the top?

Right, dy/dx = 3x^2.

Now treat dy and dx as symbols small quantities that can be manipulated like other quantities.

Multiplying both sides of dy/dx = 3x^2 by dx gives?

umm dy = (3x^2)dx?

Zerius said:
umm dy = (3x^2)dx?

Right. Now change y to V and x to L throughout.

Even though engineers and physicists routinely do these types of manipulations, they make pure mathematicians cringe.

>.< ok that makes more sense now. I will try to hatch this in my brain. Thanks George Jones!

1. How are equations related in science?

Equations are used in science to represent relationships between different variables. These relationships can be used to predict outcomes, explain phenomena, or make calculations.

2. How do you know which equations are related?

Equations are related when they share common variables or when one equation can be derived from the other. This means that the equations are connected and can be used together to solve a problem or understand a concept.

3. Can two equations have the same relationship?

Yes, two equations can have the same relationship. This means that they represent the same concept or phenomenon, but may be expressed in different ways. For example, the equations F=ma and a=F/m both represent Newton's second law of motion.

4. Is it important to understand the relationship between equations?

Yes, understanding the relationship between equations is crucial in science. It allows scientists to make connections between different concepts and use equations to solve complex problems or make predictions. It also helps in identifying errors or inconsistencies in data or calculations.

5. How can I use the relationship between equations to solve a problem?

By understanding the relationship between equations, you can use them together to solve a problem. This means substituting variables from one equation into the other or rearranging the equations to eliminate or isolate certain variables. It is important to remember that the relationship between equations may not always be direct, so it is essential to carefully analyze the problem and use appropriate mathematical methods.