Why is noise always assumed to be Gaussian in noise-based applications?

In summary, Huber, Tukey, and others found that Gaussian distributions are a good approximation for most data, with the approximation getting better as the number of data points increases.
csaspp
hi
i want to know why while dealing with any noise based application noise is assumed to be gaussian distributed?

give me the explanation clearly please

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss developed the gaussian distribution to analyze measurement errors. He is often considered the greatest mathematician of all time, for many reasons, and in this case he was doing applied work in astronomy and realized he needed a general theory of error analysis. He proved that as long as the deviations from the true value are random, then the measurements will be in a gaussian distribution.

In other words noise is almost always normally distributed in all measurements under very general conditions, aside from unusual cases that involve a nonlinear bias in the measurement, or nonlinearity in the system itself (such phenomena are difficult to study for many reasons, and so the vast majority of applications deal with linear phenomena).

central limit theorem!

Yes, central limit theorem. By the central limit theorem, any sum or average of samples from ANY distribution (with finite mean and standard deviation) will be approximately Gaussian with the approximation better for larger samples. We can always consider "noise" or any measurement, as made up of many smaller parts so we can always assume an arbitrarily close approximation to Gaussian: i.e. Gaussian itself.

Unless the number of observations are low, in which case you can use the poisson distribution, correct?

Yeah, I always loved signal to noise ratio!

In modern music, how do you determine what is "signal" and what is "noise"?

"We can always consider "noise" or any measurement, as made up of many smaller parts so we can always assume an arbitrarily close approximation to Gaussian: i.e. Gaussian itself."

In relation to what?

It is actually rare for data to be exactly Gaussian (if I slip and say normal, I apologize for showing my American language preference). The center of data sets often seems to be normal, but typically we can't tell whether the data is Gaussian, close to it, is a contaminated normal, or is some other distribution that is symmetric and unimodal but longer-tailed than the Gaussian. This was (and is) the point made by Huber, Tukey, Hampel, and many others.

1. Why is Gaussian noise so commonly used in scientific experiments?

Gaussian noise, also known as white noise, is commonly used in scientific experiments because it follows a normal distribution, making it easy to model and analyze mathematically. Additionally, it is the result of many small, random processes, making it a good representation of natural variability.

2. Is Gaussian noise truly representative of all types of noise in the real world?

No, Gaussian noise is not a perfect representation of all types of noise in the real world. However, it is a good approximation for many types of noise and is often used as a simplification in scientific experiments.

3. Can non-Gaussian noise be transformed into Gaussian noise?

Yes, non-Gaussian noise can be transformed into Gaussian noise through various mathematical techniques such as averaging, filtering, or applying a logarithmic or exponential function. However, this transformation may result in loss of information and should be used with caution.

4. What are the consequences of using Gaussian noise in scientific experiments?

One consequence of using Gaussian noise is that it assumes all the data points are independent and identically distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, Gaussian noise can mask or distort certain patterns or behaviors in the data, leading to potentially inaccurate results.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Gaussian noise in scientific experiments?

Yes, there are alternative types of noise such as Poisson noise, which is commonly used in photon counting experiments, and Bernoulli noise, which is used in binary systems. These types of noise may be more appropriate for specific types of experiments, but they also have their own limitations and assumptions.