What is the science behind a diamond's sparkle?

• Thread starter wikidrox
  • Start date
In summary: This is due to the fact that the higher the refractive index, the more light is bent and reflected. So a diamond with a high refractive index will have more of the red, yellow, green, blue, and violet colors refracted then a diamond with a lower refractive index.
wikidrox
I was asked by someone, "Why do diamonds appear brilliant to the eye?" I am having trouble coming up with a solid answer. All I could find out was it has a high index of refraction of about 2.42. I need some assistance with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
basicaly because of how much light is refracted. The diamond will redirect the light all through out it which gives it the so called fire. A higher index of refraction means more reflected light. I believe the forumla is n is congruent to c over v phase

Tom McCurdy said:
basicaly because of how much light is refracted. The diamond will redirect the light all through out it which gives it the so called fire. A higher index of refraction means more reflected light. I believe the forumla is n is congruent to c over v phase

Exactly. The term for it is cleavage.

two words: bling bling

Well i Certainly Didn't understand what you said but i will explain what i know.

Basicly when light moves through the diamond which does have a refactive index of 2.42 light refracts (bends).

Light is made up off all the diferent colors Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Indigo .

When light moves through an object the light is bent (towards the normal which is perpendicular to the surface its hitting), but, all the different colors bend different amounts, Most of the time it isn't noticable, because the refractive index is low. But in a diamond, where the refractive index is high, the different colors bend enough to break apart the white light into a rainbow of color.

When the light exits the object it is bent again ( away from the normal) and because most cut diamonds have many diferent sides light is bent in many different directions giving it a sparkly effect.

The only forumla you need to know is N1/N2 = SIN I / SIN R
Where N1 = refractive index of first substance and N2 = Refractive index of second substance, I = Incidence and R= Refraction. You can just transpose this forumla around to get what you want.

Of the top of my head I think Red is refracted the most and indigo is refracted the least.

1. Why do diamonds sparkle?

Diamonds sparkle due to their unique atomic structure. They are made up of carbon atoms arranged in a specific way that allows light to enter and reflect off the surfaces at different angles, creating the sparkling effect.

2. Is it true that the cut of a diamond affects its sparkle?

Yes, the cut of a diamond plays a significant role in its sparkle. A well-cut diamond will have precise angles and proportions that allow light to enter and reflect back out evenly, resulting in a brilliant sparkle.

3. Do all diamonds sparkle the same?

No, not all diamonds sparkle the same. The sparkle of a diamond depends on its cut, clarity, and even the color. The better the quality of the diamond, the more it will sparkle.

4. Can you enhance a diamond's sparkle?

While you cannot change a diamond's natural sparkle, you can enhance it by making sure it is cut and polished properly. Additionally, setting the diamond in a specific way, such as with prongs, can also enhance its sparkle.

5. Why do some diamonds seem to sparkle more than others?

The sparkle of a diamond depends on various factors such as the quality of the cut, the lighting conditions, and the observer's perspective. A diamond with a high-quality cut and placed in ideal lighting conditions will appear to sparkle more than others with lower quality cuts or in less favorable lighting.