This will work for all six sides of the cube.

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Flux
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the total flux of a given vector over a cube. The attempt at a solution involves setting up the surface and using the general flux formula to integrate over the cube.
hils0005

Homework Statement

Calculate the total flux of vectorF(x,y,z)=8x^2y i + 6yz^2 j + y^3z k outward through the cube whose verticies are(0,0,0), (1,0,0), (1,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1), (1,0,1),(1,1,1), (0,1,1).

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\widehat{}F[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] (-partial z/dx i -partial z/dy j + k) dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the surface S: xyz[tex]\leq[/tex] 1
so z [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/xy

dz/dx= 1/y lnx
dz/dy= 1/x lny

so F (dot) (-dz/dz i -dz/dy j + k)
=-8x^2lnx - (6yz^2lny)/x + y^3z

I then plugged in z

=-8x^2lnx - 6lny/x^3y + y^2/x

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] =-8x^2lnx - 6lny/x^3y + y^2/x dxdy

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Does this look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula there should work for the top and bottom faces of the cube. But your front/back, left/right sides might pose problems, because their normal vectors don't have a k component.

I think you might want to consider using the general flux formula:
[itex]\Phi=\int\int \vec{F}\circ\hat{n}dS[/itex], where [itex]\hat{n}dS[/itex] is the unit normal vector of the surface times the differential area (i.e. dx dy, dy dz, etc).

1. What is the definition of "Total Flux through a cube"?

Total Flux through a cube refers to the amount of a vector field passing through a three-dimensional cube. It is a measure of the flow or movement of a physical quantity through the cube.

2. How is "Total Flux through a cube" calculated?

The Total Flux through a cube can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the surface of the cube. This is done for each face of the cube and the results are added together to get the total flux value.

3. What are some uses of "Total Flux through a cube" in science?

Total Flux through a cube is used in various fields of science, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It can help in understanding the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the transfer of heat in a system.

4. How does "Total Flux through a cube" relate to the concept of flux?

Flux is a general term used to describe the flow or movement of a physical quantity through a given surface. Total Flux through a cube is a specific type of flux that is measured through a three-dimensional cube. It is a more precise way of calculating the flow of a vector field compared to just measuring it through a flat surface.

5. Can "Total Flux through a cube" have a negative value?

Yes, the Total Flux through a cube can have a negative value. This indicates that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the surface normal of the cube. It is important to consider the direction of the vector field and the orientation of the cube when interpreting the sign of the total flux value.