How hijacks or redirects are achieved

• Thread starter FrankJ777
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being redirected to unwanted shopping sites and the frustration of trying to solve the problem manually. It is suggested to use anti-spyware tools such as Ad-Aware or Windows Defender to clean out the adware programs that may be causing the redirects. However, it is noted that some adware/malware may be able to block these programs. One person shares their experience of using a program called MalwareBytes in safe mode to successfully remove the malware.
FrankJ777
Can anyone give me a technical explanation about how hijacks or redirects are achieved. I keep getting redirected to shopping sites that I'm not going to and would like to see if I can figure out how to solve the problem myself.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org

If that is so you need to clean them out using Ad-Aware or Windows Defender. Most of the time these adware programs gets stuck in memory and using Win Task Manager to end them won't help since they somehow always manage to run themselves again. These spyware and adware programs tend to lodge themselves in your registry, startup config files. Removing them manually is a pain. Do yourself a favour and download some free anti-spyware tools like Ad-Aware.

I got a bad infestation of malware a couple of months ago on my PC (similar to what you described - but kept getting redirects to go.google sites). I tried AdAware, Windows Defender, Spybot search and Destroy and several other programs but was unable to clean it all out. The only way I was able to finally get rid of it was by running a program called MalwareBytes (from malwarebytes.org) while in safe mode. That did the trick.

I believe you should be able to run Ad-Aware in safe mode. Perhaps Windows Defender as well. The only problem with these anti-adware programs is that adware/malware recognises them and in some cases are able to block definition updates required for the software to recognise and remove them.

1. How do hijacks or redirects occur?

Hijacks or redirects occur when a malicious entity gains unauthorized access to a website or network and alters its content or redirects its traffic to a different destination.

2. What are the common methods used to achieve a hijack or redirect?

Some common methods used to achieve a hijack or redirect include cross-site scripting (XSS), SQL injection, phishing attacks, and DNS hijacking.

3. How can hijacks or redirects be prevented?

Hijacks or redirects can be prevented by using strong and unique passwords, keeping software and systems up to date with security patches, and using firewalls and antivirus software. It is also important to regularly monitor website traffic and look for any suspicious activity.

4. What are the potential consequences of a hijack or redirect?

The consequences of a hijack or redirect can vary depending on the intentions of the attacker. It can lead to the theft of sensitive information, spread of malware or viruses, disruption of website functionality, and damage to the reputation of the affected website or network.

5. What should be done if a hijack or redirect is suspected?

If a hijack or redirect is suspected, it is important to immediately change all passwords and notify relevant authorities, such as the website or network administrators. It is also recommended to run a thorough malware scan on all devices connected to the affected network.